Tack cloth residue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tack cloth residue

I am refinishing a gun stock and I bought an used a tack cloth for the first Time and it appears to have left a residue all over my stock , I am going to use tung oil to finish the stock ( also a first for me) can I use rubbing alcohol to slean this residue or goof off? Or is it not a big deal ? Any help on tung oil and the proper use of a tack cloth is greatly appreciated .
    Btw I was trying to search for the answers but I am on my phone and when I use the search function my phone goes crazy ... Any help is appreciated

I would try mineral spirits (paint thinner) first. I'm not a big fan of tack cloths. I think they can cause more problems than they solve, as you have discovered.

I usually vacuum sanding dust off in preparation for finishing. If I'm using an oil or oil based finish, I'll sometimes wipe if off with a rag, dampened with mineral spirits, but usually the vacuum is sufficient.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I agree with bill. I really do not like tack cloths either.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

A 3rd don't like tack cloths and like Bill, I also vacuum the dust.
        It's never hot or cold in NH, it's always seasonal!

Comment

Well thank you very much ! First and last time I use a tack cloth I should've just stuck with the way I have always done it , thanks guys!

Comment

I use a gentle tiuch with the tack cloth. Have never had a problem.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to New tools
              by Linda In Phoenix
              New tools can definitely open up the scope of what we can do, or how well I'm on the band wagon. Congrats!
              Today, 11:36 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to Interesting pallet
              by Linda In Phoenix
              At work (like 15 years ago) we got in some aluminum sheet on pallets 4'x12'. Those pallets were like brand new, without even any discoloring from the metals. I asked our sales rep, and he said I could keep one pallet. I removed all the 4' boards, which measured about 1/2" thick, 4" wide...
              Today, 11:32 AM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to Interesting pallet
              by NC Scroller
              I agree that needs to be saved for a special project. The wood is likely oak based on the grain pattern and the discoloration around the nail.
              Today, 11:30 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by Linda In Phoenix
              That insert definitely is an issue they need to bring up to the standards and quality of the rest of the machine!

I did the modification they recommended on mine so it wouldn't rub the blade. And, sure enough their supplied blade had blown out 2 of the tips on the teeth because of the...
              Today, 11:25 AM
            • tgiro01
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by tgiro01
              One issue I found with the insert that comes with the saw was the areas they smoothed for the kickback pawls. If the insert is leveled correctly, those areas are sitting about 1/32-inch below the table. I had a problem with some small pieces getting caught and jamming because of that. Sawstop's recommendation...
              Today, 08:18 AM
            Working...
            X