Tack cloth residue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tack cloth residue

I am refinishing a gun stock and I bought an used a tack cloth for the first Time and it appears to have left a residue all over my stock , I am going to use tung oil to finish the stock ( also a first for me) can I use rubbing alcohol to slean this residue or goof off? Or is it not a big deal ? Any help on tung oil and the proper use of a tack cloth is greatly appreciated .
    Btw I was trying to search for the answers but I am on my phone and when I use the search function my phone goes crazy ... Any help is appreciated

I would try mineral spirits (paint thinner) first. I'm not a big fan of tack cloths. I think they can cause more problems than they solve, as you have discovered.

I usually vacuum sanding dust off in preparation for finishing. If I'm using an oil or oil based finish, I'll sometimes wipe if off with a rag, dampened with mineral spirits, but usually the vacuum is sufficient.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I agree with bill. I really do not like tack cloths either.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

A 3rd don't like tack cloths and like Bill, I also vacuum the dust.
        It's never hot or cold in NH, it's always seasonal!

Comment

Well thank you very much ! First and last time I use a tack cloth I should've just stuck with the way I have always done it , thanks guys!

Comment

I use a gentle tiuch with the tack cloth. Have never had a problem.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
              Reply to My computer issues.
              by Rolf
              Thanks John.
              Today, 08:36 AM
            • Rolf
              Reply to Festool vac and Pegas scroll saw
              by Rolf
              The lack of service facilities is an industry wide problem not just in the SS world. To find tech savvy factory support is rare.
              I am fortunate that I can fix most anything myself. I don't have a Pegas saw or I would dig into one. The big problem is most tools like Pegas are sold by distributors...
              Today, 08:31 AM
            • Sandy Oaks
              by Sandy Oaks
              As a Pegas dealer, I think I will chime in on this thread. It was a huge mistake to let Bob Duncan go, but I don’t know the circumstances. I Had a customer with a tension lever problem. I sent a new lever, but there was a question on how to replace it. They passed my email on to someone and he...
              Today, 08:25 AM
            • hotshot
              by hotshot
              They need Bob back desperately....
              Today, 07:44 AM
            • Tom in Ashland
              by Tom in Ashland
              The receptacle on the Festool dust collector can be a little particular about the things plugged into it. If the prongs do not fit tightly it sometimes does not work - bend them out very slightly and you may be good to go. I have one tool that has that problem.
              Yesterday, 07:02 PM
            Working...
            X