Marsha
    LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Thats what happens when you combine Maple and ASH
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

WOW thirty one replies on finish for a trivet so this makes thirty two.

I have been following this thread with interest because I am always looking for new ideas and suggestions apart from what I have learned (sometimes the hard way) over the years.
        So with tongue in cheek and hoping I too am not accused or suggested of having the last word I will voice my opinion about my own experiences with the finishing of trivets.

About five years ago I was scrollsawing out the lids of two keepsake boxes (stack sawed). It was only after I was finished and ready for assembly that I discovered the pattern maker had made a mistake and all the rectangular cutouts around the circumference were not supposed to be there so I tossed them into my designer firewood box and made a couple more with my own modification of the pattern.
        I had mentioned it to my wife and she wanted to see the ones I threw out. She immediately said . . . *Make me trivets out of them*.
        I sprayed them with several coats of a very superior industrial grade of water base lacquer that I use on most of my fretwork pieces and those two trivets have been used almost daily since then and still look like the day I made them.
        I agree with what others have said that trivets were never intended to take pots or pans right off the stove or out of the oven and place them on trivets. But with the contents dumped into serving bowls and then placed on the trivets, steaming hot, we have never has a problem.
        If anyone here has any qestions about this I am always glad to help out. On the other hand if this appears as a last word then I can also accept that . I just wanted to describe my own experieneces on this topic in case it could be of value to someone or anyone..
        Here are the ones I am referring to. My wife glued red felt onto the bottom of them so they won't mark our teak kitchen table.
        Cheers.
        W.Y.

And here is a picture of what the pattern was " supposed" to look like for the lids of those keepsake boxes after I re-sawed them without the mistakes that I had followed in the original pattern.

http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Wow, what a thread! Lots of interesting information here.

I've always thought that ANY finish, when cured, is food safe. I've used mineral oil, walnut oil, poly, lacquer, shellac, and raw wood.....I ain't dead yet although some wish I were......

Nice trivets BTW William.....those rectangles look like a perfect place for slots in the sides to slide in......
          ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Nice trivets BTW William.....those rectangles look like a perfect place for slots in the sides to slide in......
            Thanks you and yes, those slots are perfect for sliding into the base of the box (with no inside pattern) for strength but the lid has to be removed for access to the opening/contents of the box so the tabs do not have to come through the top.
            The inside of the lid has a spacer that fits within the inside of the box.
            I only made those two of that pattern and they sold real quick. I never seem to get around to repeating on a lot of the many hundreds of scrollsawing projects I have made and now that I have found the joys of wood turning on a lathe I find myself turning more than scrolling.
            But I always have time to help out my fellow scrollers with the experience I have gained over many years.

BTW, to put size into perspective, those trivets are 11 " from one point to the opposite point and they have had many hundreds of steaming hot caseroles sitting on them over the years.

Sometimes I look in my Picturetrail Albums site (link below) and wonder how I ever made all that stuff when considering that those albums only show a small percentage of what I have made in woodworking since I retired. Previous to that I didn't even have a woodworking shop and only a few mechanics tools. . I only put mainly the keepers in those albums and if I put them all in there it would take way too long for the average person to view them all so I keep it condensed as much as possible.

W.Y.
            Last edited by William Young (SE BC); 10-25-2006, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Fascinating thread here though now i think I'm more confused than i was before ..

Originally posted by Gill
              Could it be that there aren't any European regulations on the subject?

Gill
              That seems highly unlikely Gill considering the idiotic regulations that the EU come up with - measuring the curve on bananas springs to mind...

Ian
              Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

[QUOTE=William Young (SE BC)]WOW thirty one replies on finish for a trivet so this makes thirty two....

...trivets were never intended to take pots or pans right off the stove or out of the oven and place them on trivets. But with the contents dumped into serving bowls and then placed on the trivets, steaming hot, we have never has a problem.QUOTE]

BINGO... Finally found the answer to Heat for a trivet... not if it is Edible.

This thread is what we liken to in preaching circles concerning a message. Someone blew up a balloon (off topic) and everyone grabbed hold and the balloon took them away. LOL

By the way Carl, I don't eat off a trivet either, especially soup.

Comment

Well, I've been reading this thread because I do take pans etc. right out of the oven and place them on my trivet. Casseroles mostly but have been known to put a pot of chili right onto the trivet too. Right now my trivet is a framed ceramic tile, but I'm wanting to make some wooden ones.....
                  Theresa
                  Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz

BINGO... Finally found the answer to Heat for a trivet... not if it is Edible.

This thread is what we liken to in preaching circles concerning a message. Someone blew up a balloon (off topic) and everyone grabbed hold and the balloon took them away. LOL
                    True, but isn't it great how one little question can garner so much extra information for folks.
                    Oh, for the record, my solution to heat on trivets it to use ceramic ones and not have to worry about it.
                    Kevin
                    Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                    Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Originally posted by Forester21
                      Well, I've been reading this thread because I do take pans etc. right out of the oven and place them on my trivet. Casseroles mostly but have been known to put a pot of chili right onto the trivet too.
                      Theresa
                      Theresa,
                      I do that too, and I avoid looking at a lot of scorch marks or discoloration by using the darker pieces of poplar or (my favorite) walnut. I use Danish oil finish on mine, but then I also never eat stuff from the trivets themselves - just sit the hot pans on them.
                      Sandy

Comment

Sandy

but then I also never eat stuff from the trivets themselves - just sit the hot pans on them.
                        Which is why I wondered way back in this thread why a question about a finish for trivets got side tracked into a food safe finish discussion.

I too do not eat off my trivets. I don't know anyone who does and I don't care whether whaterver finish is used on trivets should be food safe or not.
                        W.Y.

Comment

I agree. I've never started a thread and it run for 5 pages. I might have missed it but what was the verdict on heat? Don't put anything directly off the stove onto the trivet but only put a cassarole dish, bowl or cooled off pot / pan onto it? I'd like to Danish oil the oak and stain the BB pieces. Not gonna eat off the trivet or eat it itself I might add.
                          Confuscious says, "The cautious seldom err".
                          Confuscious didn't own a scrollsaw either.

Comment

now....

Originally posted by Capt Weasel
                            I agree. I've never started a thread and it run for 5 pages. I might have missed it but what was the verdict on heat? Don't put anything directly off the stove onto the trivet but only put a cassarole dish, bowl or cooled off pot / pan onto it? I'd like to Danish oil the oak and stain the BB pieces. Not gonna eat off the trivet or eat it itself I might add.
                            That's a good one!

Trout
                            Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
                            Fish are food, not friends!

Comment

Capt. W.

I repeat myself: go look at a well used trivet! You will be able to tell a lot. Danish oil will work if you give it a month or so to cure (not dry, but cure!) And yes, Danish oil could scorch with direct-from-stove-top-pan, but so what? You are not making show piece, but like Marsha's pie rack, something to be used.

also you will note just how smoothly sanded a well used trivet was finished. IMHO, a trivet that is sanded too smooth and the hot dish slides off when served from. IMHO, trivets that allow hot casserole dishes to slide off will be left in the side board drawer and seldom used. The Ladies here have a more valid opinion on this than I do.

Phil

Aside: If you are making something that is to be used only on Thanksgiving Diner with Lots of Guests, yada-yada-yada, Well, in that case, maybe you might want to go fancy and have a shinny finish. Goes with the Expensive China and all that.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X