No announcement yet.

Heat on a Trivet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's going to have the last word on this thread? Should I open a book?

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

No Book !

I think, I will pass, and just let the others continue to talk about what they use on their own trivets and utensils.

And, if they really do need or want food safe finishes on the cribs, cradles, and baby toys.

Comment

The last word

Omega
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Hmm, I missed this thread. ALL finishes (at least in the U.S.) are foodsafe once fully cured, period. It's required by the FDA. Bob Flexner (one of the top experts on finishing) has tried, appearantly unsucessfully to dispel the myth that you have to buy certain "food safe" finishes.
          I'd suggest taking a look here for one of the true finishing guru's thoughts on "food-safe" finishes.
          Last edited by Jediscroller; 10-23-2006, 10:46 AM.
          Kevin
          Scrollsaw Patterns Online
          Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Actually, a thread like this one teaches a lot I think, I enjoy the dialog and I actually did learn a thing or two! One oil that wasnt mentioned was walnut oil, I have heard of that being used too. Dale
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Bob Flexner

I happen to know Bob Flexner for many years, in fact, we both write finishing articles for the Woodshop News magazine.

I think, it was Bob that once wrote something to the affect, that just because someone writies something about finishing, that does not make it right or true.

Fox Chapel Publishing, happens to sell Bob Flexner's book on "Understanding Wood Finishing" they have the new revised copy.

Those of you who are interested in finishing, should get a copy and read it.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by MacS; 10-26-2006, 06:28 AM.

Comment

The odds on Mac having the last word have just moved out slightly. The odds on the field have shortened dramatically.

Gill (who is making sure the roundover is in her favor!)
                There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

Gill- Moderate-Don't Dictate

Gill,

I did not appreciate your post.

What, if I wanted this subject to be a book, (what ever that means) is there a limit on what I can write about, or is this thread bothering or boring you !

There are others here, who seemed to have learned something from it, I think, if you read the posts you would see that.

Gill, I did not find your comment funny nor warrented, and I would appreciate, if you take this post down, then do the same with yours. If not, leave them both up, and let it go at that !
                  Last edited by MacS; 10-24-2006, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Mac,
                    I'm not sure what you mean by your comment. Are you insinuating that Bob Flexner and many others who have wrote that all finishes are food safe are not being truthful?
                    Sorry, I don't read woodshop news.
                    Kevin

Comment

For the benefit of members who might be following this thread, I have written to Mac privately with regard to his last contribution.

Gill

Comment

For a little bit more reading (that I assume to be truthful) you can read the FDA guidelines here for wooden storage containers and what they're allowed to contain (including petroleum distallates).
                        If you really want to give yourself a headache, you can read this. It's interesting to note that they specify maple or other similar close grained wood for items that have direct contact with food.
                        One little disclaimer, this is from the US FDA, I'd be curious what some of the European regulations are in this regard as typically they are more precise.
                        Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Jediscroller
                          I'd be curious what some of the European regulations are in this regard as typically they are more precise.
                          A lot of Europeans would like to know this too! One of the most frequently asked questions on UK woodworking forums is, "What food-safe finish shall I apply to my chopping board/salad bowl?" I've seen lots of people offer a variety of advice (which is often contradictory ) but nobody has ever quoted any regulations.

Could it be that there aren't any European regulations on the subject?

Gill

Comment

This has been indeed an informative thread, and one thing I too have noticed in reading the many links, is as Gill stated alot of contradictory advice and information.
                            I think my favorite article and the one I am going to go with, was the one written by Bob Flexner "The Follies of Food-Safe Finishes" I think it pretty well summed it all up.
                            But I can honestly say I am going away knowing more (I think) then I did coming in.
                            Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

This has indeed been a very informative thread. I have learned alot reading all the posts. I think I will stick with the mineral oil, it is the only thing I have ever used on my wooden spoons, rolling pins, cutting boards & cooling racks. It has never gone rancid on anything I've put it on. It's what I learned to use when I was a kid in Home Economics class, so I think I'll just stick with it and that way I never need to worry about it.
                              Marsha
                              LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Originally posted by Marsha
                                . I think I will stick with the mineral oil, it is the only thing I have ever used on my wooden spoons, rolling pins, cutting boards & cooling racks.
                                Marsha
                                You know, back when I was a kid, I clearly remember my mother finishing quite a few wooden spoons with me on my butt! I can remember it as if it were yesterday. One thing I also know, is her finishing method must have made the wood brittle, because I've seen my share of them break while she was finishing them! Dale
                                Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X