Frugal Food Safe Finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frugal Food Safe Finish

I've been researching frugal, food safe finishes. One source said to use 10 parts mineral oil, with one part paraffin. Other sources said to use equal parts of each. Which mixture will get the best results?

OK, you piqued my curiosity. So I too did a bit of research. Here is a quote from an article titled: Cutting Board Finish. " if the primary objective is to fill the cells of the wood with mineral oil, why do we recommend a blend of mineral oil and paraffin wax? What’s the point of the wax? The point of the wax is to give “temporary longevity” to the finish—a sort of “look-I’ve-done-something” sense of accomplishment, but without preventing the oil from soaking into the cell structure of the wood."

That article suggests using 1 part paraffin with 5-7 parts of mineral oil. Now I'll have to make me some and try it.
    Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

I use in weight a 1:1 ratio of pure beeswax and mineral oil done in a double boiler for my food safe finish on my turnings and some intarsia works.
      Eric

Liberty Twp (Cincinnati), OH

If today were perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow!

Comment

The finish on wood items used in food preparation will need to be re-applied periodically. That's one of the reasons mineral oil is recommended. Since no finish will stand up to the use and washing, you might as well use something that's cheap, safe and easy to apply. Thus the ratio of mineral oil to wax really isn't critical. Pick either one or make up your own. You can always tweak the recipe the next time you refresh the finish.
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

This mix works well for toys, and as everything goes into the childs mouth it should be good for cutting boards as well.
          How to make a non-toxic wood toy finish - YouTube
          Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Where do you get beeswax? I've looked all over this one horse town to no avail.
            "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
            Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I just use mineral oil and mineral spirits, 1 to one or 2 to one depending on what I am finishing. I also use mineral oil, tung oil as I like the dark color it gives some of my baskets, and mineral spirits. Mix until it is the consistency I like then dip. Some where around 1-1-2. Aren't you glad I'm not a chemist? LOL
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I called around and can't get beeswax locally either. I'll Google and see what I can come up with.

will8989, that sounds like the way I cook and bake.

Comment

One thing about beeswax, it might affect people allergic to bees. Not sure, but worth checking out. I know it is not used in some cosmetics because of allergic reactions. Also, walnut oil. I don't use that because of the allergy reactions. Don't know if the allergy reaction evaporates or not. I just don't take the chance. Wax I think would not evaporate as it is more of a solid than a liquid. You can check any local bee keepers in your area. They would more than likely have bees wax. Or ACMoore or Michaels in their candle section. Don't know if it's the same kind you are looking for but worth a try.

As for the cooking, I always cook like that. A teaspoon is a half palm full, a table spoon is a full palm full! Or just a splash of this and a splash of that! Works everytime!!! LOL
                  Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

So I decided to make the child friendly wood finish today out of beeswax and mineral oil. I found the beeswax locally from a honey producer who sells it at the local health food store. I found the mineral Oil at Walgreen's, I had a couple of other errands to run, & while in another store I was in the health aisle getting some items and noticed they had mineral oil for $2.51 less than I had just paid for it at Walgreen's. You guessed it I took my purchase back to Walgreen's and when asked why I was returning it. I said because you are $2.51 higher in price than the grocery store down the street. The clerk just smiled. She did not thank me for coming in, nor did she seem apologetic for the exorbitant price. I'll not be shopping at there store in the near future...

I then came home and watched the video and she even mentions Walgreen's was way more expensive than Walmart. I don't have a walmart near me..
                    "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Just curious Mike how much did you pay for the Bees wax from your bee guy? I paid $17.00 for a pound at Michael's Craft store.

$4.95 for 1 pound.... I could buy it and ship it for less than you paid....Sorry!
                      Last edited by wood-n-things; 03-31-2012, 01:14 AM.
                      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

will8989, Good point to keep in mind about allergies! When I set up at Arts & Crafts shows I tag each item and list what I used to make it from. I can see how it would be good to continue that with wood crafts.

I love that method of cooking. It's generational in my family. But it's challenging when someone asks for a recipe.

Comment

wood-n-things, Well done! I love to find a good bargain!

Comment

WD......$4.95 for 1 pound.... I could buy it and ship it for less than you paid....Sorry!
                            "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Great buy Mike, I checked on Amazon and the price is all over the place........should have checked before I went to Michaels Craft store, and this was about a year ago when I bought it, probably is higher now.......they will blame the gas price for delivery I presume.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X