Mod Podge Application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mod Podge Application

I've tried using Mod Podge as a sealer and I get streaking much like wood grain. I tried sanding w/ 320 grit (couldn't find 400) and I ended up starting to take some of the picture off. I'm saying it is a effort make the puzzle appear older than it is (distressing/aging). Is there a better way to apply it or should I apply a couple of coats before sanding.

I am using Mod Podge (Satin) with a foam brush and the ambient temp is probably ~60 F.

Would heating MP in a double boiler be a safe move? Increased temperature increased flow rate?
    Sawdust King

If there is one thing I can make perfect every time it is sawdust.

I have found with the exception of regular paper MP is not necessary in the creation of puzzles. You will just need to take your time and build your technique using it. Long smooth strokes with a foam brush works best when I use MP. I don't beleive heating it is the solution, thinning does seem to help some what. I use tap water to thin it, but not much thinning is necessary nor will regular printer paper tolerate too much moisture.

Keep trying and practicing, and share some pics of your accomplishments.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I used Krylon acrylic (the type with UV block) with good luck this week on a dye based inkjet print (printed just 1-2 days earlier on Kodak glossy paper). I read MP dries quick and is hard to work with quickly enough, so I went the acrylic route instead. Carter uses triple glaze, but I can't find it locally and I just read a bunch of negative posts on other sites about it, so I figure I might as well stick with acrylic (spray). I also used polyurethane varnish (spray). It went on more evenly than acrylic, but I happen to have satin, so it wasn't clear.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
        Shrink wrap systems
        by Linda In Phoenix
        What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
        Today, 11:51 AM
      • Linda In Phoenix
        Reply to Sundays market
        by Linda In Phoenix
        Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
        Today, 11:39 AM
      • Linda In Phoenix
        Reply to New tools
        by Linda In Phoenix
        New tools can definitely open up the scope of what we can do, or how well I'm on the band wagon. Congrats!
        Today, 11:36 AM
      • Linda In Phoenix
        Reply to Interesting pallet
        by Linda In Phoenix
        At work (like 15 years ago) we got in some aluminum sheet on pallets 4'x12'. Those pallets were like brand new, without even any discoloring from the metals. I asked our sales rep, and he said I could keep one pallet. I removed all the 4' boards, which measured about 1/2" thick, 4" wide...
        Today, 11:32 AM
      • NC Scroller
        Reply to Interesting pallet
        by NC Scroller
        I agree that needs to be saved for a special project. The wood is likely oak based on the grain pattern and the discoloration around the nail.
        Today, 11:30 AM
      Working...
      X