Fuming attempt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuming attempt...

here is my first attempt at fuming some Cherry...the piece was fumed over night and I was hoping it would of been a little darker..

this is how I fumed the piece...

this is the result...it looks darker in the picture...

maybe I need to use a better grade of Ammonia rather than the cheap stuff that I bought at wal-mart for 98 cents....

Trout
    Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
    Fish are food, not friends!

that is an ingenious fuming tray.
    I always thought those little pizza savers were only good for doll furniture!

I wonder if heating the ammonia would speed things up.
    Maybe putting it under a lamp may help.

If you want a source of stronger ammonia you may try a refrigeration repair shop. I am not sure if "blue prints" are still common, but that would be another source.

It is getting harder to access though since it is commonly used to make crystal meth!
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Fuming

Trout,

There is a posibilty, that some of the woods you used will not fume as well as others.

You also, may want to try making up some "tannin tea" and then brushing it on the woods (soak some teabags in hot water)

Naturally, stronger ammonia will work better then the household ammonia, to get the best results at fuming is to use woods that are high in tannin.

Keep experimenting, its only your first try.

Good Luck

Comment

Call the Orkin man already...heal take care of your fumigation problems lickity split

but seriously, I saw a guy on tv doing this. DIY...David Marks I think he is. His show is called woodworks, and he likes doing more unusual woodworking methods like fuming wood, ageing copper, and what not. You can find him on the DIY website and get his email address.
        I do that sort of thing with people, like authors, all the time.
        Pretty sure his method involved tinfoil. I'm no expert, but maybe it was tinfoil, and the amonia has a reaction with it? Or maybe I'm thinking of some other scientific hoohaw that that guy made. He seems to like mixing chemicals.
        Jeff Powell

Comment

Patinated Finishes

David Marks, is known for his "patinated" finishes. where certain chemicals are applied to tinfoils and most of the natural organic metals like copper, bronze, pewter, etc., (except gold or pure gold leafing) the different chemicals react and etch the metals by adding various colors and patterns on the metal substrates creating a wonderful artform.

I don't use the chemicals to do this, I use coloured glazes to simulate patinated finishes. If your interested in adding color to your scrolling instead of just using clear coats, if your interested, you can e-mail me, and I will send you the link to my "faux patinated finishes".

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
            Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
            by NC Scroller
            I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
            Today, 11:24 AM
          • NC Scroller
            Reply to Big week here
            by NC Scroller
            Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
            Today, 11:18 AM
          • jim_mex
            Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
            by jim_mex
            Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
            Today, 09:17 AM
          • jim_mex
            Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
            by jim_mex
            Hi guys - it seems like I am back in business. The offending 'F' key seemed to lack sufficient travel to push down on the main board so I stuck a thin sliver of plastic under it with super glue and that seems to have solved the problem.

The only downside is I now have no excuses for my...
            Today, 08:42 AM
          • Rolf
            Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
            by Rolf
            WOW! I really like your taste in doors etc. I have have always leaned towards contemporary / modern. But our house is a small cape and that style would not suit it. Since we are both Geminis we have 4 people and our house is very eclectic. Each room has a bit of different style.
            Today, 08:20 AM
          Working...
          X