Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will8989
    replied
    Thanks, Janette. The wood I have has tons of blue and I wanted to keep that color. From what I am reading, baskets for food are out.

Leave a comment:

• Janette
    replied
    Sorry, I'm a little behind in my posts. I use bartley's gel varnish for all my finishing. It is supposed to be a gray wood btw Not sure for baskets. The gel doesn't soak in as much as a liquid like danish oil does but still darkens it some

Leave a comment:

• will8989
    replied
    Thanks for the info on the mold, Jan. Maybe I should research this wood a little more. Or get my researcher, otherwise known as Hubby, to research for me. He says I always look at directions and say "what are those for?" and go on my merry way. LOL And, Janette, we are anxiously awaiting your reply!!

Leave a comment:

• Hawaiilad
    replied
    There is another good question I would like answered. I have used blue pine in the past with the same results...don't think it turned all grey, but did darken it. I agree it might not be good as food safe, but once covered and cured, who knows??

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Betty, that's one good question. I'm looking forward to seeing what Janette has to say since I have the same thing happen with blue pine. As for using it to make baskets that would hold food, I think I wouldn't do that. The blue color happens after the beetles attack the tree and leave enzymes behind that encourages mold to grow in the wood. It even smells moldy when cut. That's also a very good reason to use an efficient mask to protect your airway and lungs when cutting this stuff.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• will8989
    started a topic Finishing Blue Pine---Jannette?

Finishing Blue Pine---Jannette?

I have acquired some blue pine and need advice on finishing. Everything I have tried has turned the blue grayish. I know I should use something that doesn't soak into the wood but lays on top, like minwax, but is there something else to use? I have even tried clear sprays, varnish, lacquer, shellac, and they still turn the blue a grayish color. Janette, since you use alot of blue pine, what do you use? I want to keep as much of the blue color as possible. I was thinking of using the wood for baskets so it would need to be food safe and I'm just not too sure about the minwax.

I edited your title this way maybe she will stop by sooner several folks awaiting a response/advice.
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 01-27-2012, 05:46 PM.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X