Finishing Blue Pine---Jannette?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing Blue Pine---Jannette?

I have acquired some blue pine and need advice on finishing. Everything I have tried has turned the blue grayish. I know I should use something that doesn't soak into the wood but lays on top, like minwax, but is there something else to use? I have even tried clear sprays, varnish, lacquer, shellac, and they still turn the blue a grayish color. Janette, since you use alot of blue pine, what do you use? I want to keep as much of the blue color as possible. I was thinking of using the wood for baskets so it would need to be food safe and I'm just not too sure about the minwax.

I edited your title this way maybe she will stop by sooner several folks awaiting a response/advice.
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 01-27-2012, 05:46 PM.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Betty, that's one good question. I'm looking forward to seeing what Janette has to say since I have the same thing happen with blue pine. As for using it to make baskets that would hold food, I think I wouldn't do that. The blue color happens after the beetles attack the tree and leave enzymes behind that encourages mold to grow in the wood. It even smells moldy when cut. That's also a very good reason to use an efficient mask to protect your airway and lungs when cutting this stuff.

Jan

Comment

There is another good question I would like answered. I have used blue pine in the past with the same results...don't think it turned all grey, but did darken it. I agree it might not be good as food safe, but once covered and cured, who knows??
      Hawaiilad
      Larry

Comment

Thanks for the info on the mold, Jan. Maybe I should research this wood a little more. Or get my researcher, otherwise known as Hubby, to research for me. He says I always look at directions and say "what are those for?" and go on my merry way. LOL And, Janette, we are anxiously awaiting your reply!!
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Sorry, I'm a little behind in my posts. I use bartley's gel varnish for all my finishing. It is supposed to be a gray wood btw Not sure for baskets. The gel doesn't soak in as much as a liquid like danish oil does but still darkens it some
          Janette
          www.square-designs.com

Comment

Thanks, Janette. The wood I have has tons of blue and I wanted to keep that color. From what I am reading, baskets for food are out.
            Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
              Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
              by NC Scroller
              I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
              Today, 11:24 AM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to Big week here
              by NC Scroller
              Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
              Today, 11:18 AM
            • jim_mex
              Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
              by jim_mex
              Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
              Today, 09:17 AM
            • jim_mex
              Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
              by jim_mex
              Hi guys - it seems like I am back in business. The offending 'F' key seemed to lack sufficient travel to push down on the main board so I stuck a thin sliver of plastic under it with super glue and that seems to have solved the problem.

The only downside is I now have no excuses for my...
              Today, 08:42 AM
            • Rolf
              Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
              by Rolf
              WOW! I really like your taste in doors etc. I have have always leaned towards contemporary / modern. But our house is a small cape and that style would not suit it. Since we are both Geminis we have 4 people and our house is very eclectic. Each room has a bit of different style.
              Today, 08:20 AM
            Working...
            X