Helpful finishing hints for dummies like me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helpful finishing hints for dummies like me

I found this info on finishing quite educational.

http://www.memphishardwoodlumber.com...d_article_.htm
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

excellent web site Mike thanks for posting it
    Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

I picked up some high speed buffer wheels for the foredom power carver...those really help with that final waxing step..takes it even just a little bit further. but don't wax your furniture, that's the number one cause for water rings.
      Jeff Powell

Comment

Good article!

One thing I've been doing lately, but didn't see mentioned in this article, is to pour small amounts of finish from the can into another container. Work from the other container and close the can as soon as possible. I give it a little shot of propane from a plumbers torch (just the gas, not the flame ) just before sealing the lid down. This accomplishes 2 things, it prevents the varnish/poly from being exposed to oxygen too long and starting to cure in the can and prevents contaminates from being introduced back into the can from your brush. I also tend to thin my varnish at least 20% - 50% depending on whether or not I'm brushing or wiping it on.

I still have problems with the fast dry varnishes starting to set up on me before I'm done. It's difficult to keep a wet edge, especially since I'm trying to brush it slowly to get a nice even/smooth application. Thinning it helps, but hasn't been the total solution for me.
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

That's an interesting idea using propane. I'd love to see what happens with the flame on. Perhaps I can get my alcoholic neighbor to perform that experiment...in his barn, not mine.
          Jeff Powell

Comment

i really am a nub(noob) at finishing. i have been working with 1/4 poplar wood on my last portrait. to keep it simple......would i just need a stain and wax to finish it? or a wax that has stain or color? Can someone please give me a wax or stain brand name.........appreciate your help.....joe

how would you finish this?
            Attached Files

Comment

In general poplar doesn't take the oil based pigmented stain (such as Minwax) very well. It tends to blotch, so you need to either apply a pre-stain conditioner or use a different method of staining, like a dye. Trouble with most detailed scroll work is that it's tough to get stain on all the cut edges and in all the tight corners without dipping it or spraying it.

In your case, the light colored poplar contrasts nicely with the dark background. I would leave the color natural and apply a couple coats of clear finish. For scroll work, the spray cans are easier than brushing or wiping on a finish because you can get better coverage and avoid lap marks, brush marks, puddling, etc.
              Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

thanks, can you tell me a brand of spray clear coat or a link to where i can purchase it? i want to make sure i am getting the right product. appreciate your help...joe

Comment

I would try Deft Clear semigloss wood finish. Aerosol can, follow lable. Its avail at most big box stores and wally world as well. Dale
                  Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X