Country Coloring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Country Coloring

Okay Everybody, Do not get this idea the same way I did. This idea involved a weedeater, a change of clothes, and a good long shower and if the stains don't come out in the laundry I am quite sure that this idea will involve a few choice words from my better half. Okay here it is " POKE BERRY JUICE" . This is on a piece of redoak veneer mdf. Alright quit laughing at the mental picture that I just painted and check out the one below. Sorry about the little speckles it is overspray from another project. Steve
    Attached Files
    If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
    My Gallery
    [email protected]

Hi Stevie

I used to make elderberry wine when I was a student and I kept it in my wardrobe whilst it 'matured' (six months was mature by my standards). One day a batch exploded and I had some lovely red speckled shirts where once I had white ones . They were fit only for use as rags, but I did notice that over a 3 month period they changed color from a vivid red (and white) to a very dun brown. I'm wondering how long your coloring will last.

I think we need some input from a finishing expert to tell us what the best way is to 'fix' these sorts of colors. Are you there, Mac?

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Gill, I hadn't thought of that. I will tuck that piece in a cabinet for awhile and check for color changes. I think if it would stay that color or even a little darker it could add some interesting color to some pieces. Steve
      If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
      My Gallery
      [email protected]

Comment

This is very cool.
        I knew an old master carver from Norway that used to make his own dies and stains from natural products. I wish I picked his brain when I had the chance.
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Plant colorings

I'm certainly no expert on this subject, but from my knowledge, they will lose there colors over time. In some cases, a mordant is added to the juices to set the "color fast" into the wood.

If you test one panel of the color in direct sunlight, and another in a place not in the direct sunlight, you will find your own answer fairly fast.

Comment

Our ancesters used berry juice to dye things with for thousands of years -- before Ritz ) and it worked for them- heck women use to use it for makeup - It is a pretty shade on your experiment Steve-- To bad I just cut jown two large stalks of Polk my son let go to seed .
            Sharon

Comment

sawdustus of hiawatha

Steve,

For what it is worth, you might try to contact someone in your neck of the woods who does his or her own weaving. Most of them also dye the wool they use with natural dyes. They will be able to tell you what works or doesn't work. In New Jersey there are weaver/dyers found at Waterloo Village. In Mass. it would be at Old Sturbridge Village. I know that they also use black walnut shells for a dark brown color. As Mac said, a mordant is used to set the dye and make it more colorfast. Sunlight is the biggest enemy of dyes and paints. I do like the color though.
              A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
              George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                Reply to New tools
                by jim_mex
                Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                Yesterday, 11:14 PM
              • Hobbyhorse
                Reply to New tools
                by Hobbyhorse
                Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                Yesterday, 11:03 PM
              • Hobbyhorse
                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                by Hobbyhorse
                Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
              • KarlB
                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                by KarlB
                Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                Yesterday, 09:41 PM
              • KarlB
                Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                by KarlB
                Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                Yesterday, 09:31 PM
              Working...
              X