Experiment with Staining Pine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiment with Staining Pine

This issue has come up a few times so I figured this might be of some use to others.

The test piece is just a piece of clear Pine (white wood as HD and Lowes like to call it) sanded with 220 grit sandpaper.

In the first picture on the left side I used the Minwax wood conditioner before staining, the right side is just raw wood no conditioner.

The second picture shows the raw wood on the left and on the right I dampened the wood with a towel soaked in water. I let the towel sit there for about 15 minutes the same as the conditioner.

The last picture is all 3 techniques from left to right it is conditioner, raw wood, raw wood dampened by wet towel.

What do you think?
    Attached Files
    Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Looks to me dampen with a wet towel and you get a consistent stain, how about end grain? Did it lift the grain of the wood quite a bit?

On side note i lost my pics you requested i have asked for him to send them again..sorry bout that.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Mike

I have not tried it on the end grain yet. The wet towel method does lift the grain a little bit but not as bad as I was expecting. I'll keep experimenting and keep you posted.
      Tim

Comment

Are you using oil- or water-based stain?

Comment

Anytime I stain Pine or any soft wood I use Min-Wax Wood-condioner and has worked perfect everytime - no spoting or showing different shadeing even of the end grain ..........MB
          Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

The stain was oil based from Porter paints PPG Porter Paints - Olympic Premium Wood Stain

I will try some end grain tests today and see what happens.

Marshall I heard about using the wet towel a long time ago but never believed it would work but judging by what I am seeing the stain seems to soak in deeper than just the raw wood or the conditioned wood.
            Tim

Comment

I just did a little working with pine. It was a small piece and I sprayed it with shellac and sanded it with 220 grit. Then i applied an oil stain. It worked will with no blotching.
              John

Comment

another treatment of pine. Yellow pine in this case. Torched it.
                Attached Files
                Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Interesting results. Do you sand the wettened pine after staining to get the grain smooth again? Oh- and to you apply the stain while the wood is wet or wait for it to dry first?

T
                  Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Theresa

The stain is applied while the wood is still wet. I took a sanding block with some 400 grit and it smoothed down with just a few passes.

I tested the end grain yesterday and the results are similar. Went to take some pics and the camera was dead. I'll post them later. I also tried something else using Mineral Spirits as the "pre-treatment" and it came out about the same as the Minwax conditioner.
                    Tim

Comment

Thank you for posting, and the pics, Tim. I'm working on a pine project now, and will try this out.

Paul
                      www.flicker.com/photos/woodworks44224

Comment

heck with the wood, where's the rest of the recipe, if it's got whipped cream, it's gotta be good!
                        just kiddin

maybe I'm a dinosaur but I've always had good results on board pine by sealing with blo, let dry well, and wiping the Minwax of nearly any color with a rag, wiping with the grain to avoid blotching.
                        their gel stains have given me more headaches than I can count, though

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X