Best type of stain to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best type of stain to use

i am just wanting to know what would be the best type of stain to use on baltic birch. I am doing some ornaments and the customer wants them in cherry. would I use gel or what. I know I would need some pre conditioner frist. all info is appreciated

My 2 cents based on what I do. I like to use regular stain and not the gel. Just pour some stain in a tray/dish, dip the pieces and then blot off the excess with paper towels. The stain can be poured back into the can for later use. Make sure to dispose of the paper towels properly. Once dipped and blotted I would wait at least 24 hours before clear coating. For a clear coat my choice would be a spray on like Deft. I AM NOT a fan of the water based sprays.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

With BB and pine especially I use a coat of shellac first then I dip my project after that has cured, a couple of hours. The shellac helps to prevent blotching & makes the stain take in a more uniform way. Just my 2 1/2 cents.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

NC Scroller, I like that tip cause I have over 100 of these thing to do and that would be faster then brushing all of them.

wood-n-things if I am using pre stain conditioner wouldnt that work the same? or does the shellac work better?

Comment

I have just been dipping my BB ornaments for years without any preconditioner and had no problems. Sealers are only needed on open grained wood. Finishing of wood was my career for 38 years. so I have had some experience!

Comment

Originally posted by morsewk View Post
            I have just been dipping my BB ornaments for years without any preconditioner and had no problems. Sealers are only needed on open grained wood. Finishing of wood was my career for 38 years. so I have had some experience!
            thanks I beleve I am going to try different ways with scrap so I can get the color I wont so I dont mess them up. I will try this also. thanks again

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
              Reply to New tools
              by Quartz43
              I have an implanted spinal cord stimulator to help with back pain. They also have warnings about welding. I could not get one when I was working in an electric furnace steelmaking shop as the electrodes were over 1000 amps and volts. I have also decided to stay away from welding as I just do not...
              Today, 03:40 PM
            • hotshot
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by hotshot
              You did a great job on that video. You speak and explain well!...
              Today, 02:27 PM
            • RJweb
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by RJweb
              I am glad it is all working out for you, RJ...
              Today, 01:31 PM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Shrink wrap systems
              by Linda In Phoenix
              What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
              Today, 11:51 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to Sundays market
              by Linda In Phoenix
              Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
              Today, 11:39 AM
            Working...
            X