water resisitent finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water resisitent finish

I have a request to make a eagle segmentation that could be hung on the outside of a front door between the door and the storm door. As I know that this is a very moist area to hang a finished product, I was wondering what type of final finish would be best. This item will be painted in very bright reds, oranges and yellows. (Can't guess that it was a Harley Davidson biker who made the request can you?) I am hoping to find a finish that will protect, but not change the colors too much as it ages. What do you use to finish items that will be hung where they receive exposure to damp environments such as this? This will be a fun project to complete and will be completed using very vibrant colors, far more extreme than I am used to. Any suggestions for type of paint and final finish would be most helpful. Thank you in advance for your help.
    Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

I use spar urethane. It is a marine grade finish used by the boating industry. Sun will still cause it to deteriorate over time but it does have some UV deterrent in it. It is readily available at most hardware outlets. However even these will need to have some maintenance performed, perhaps annually.

Here is one...
    RustOleum.com

Here is another and there are many more to choose from..
    Minwax Helmsman 1 Qt. Satin Spar Urethane (63205) from The Home Depot

You may want to read this..
    Wood Finish Update click on the links at the bottom to read how the test was performed...
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Here's a suggestion I've only read about. I've never tried it myself, but from what I've read on several WW'ing forums, it is a good and practical solution to which clear finish to use outdoors.

Go to your local paint store and ask for clear paint base for a high quality, oil based, trim & siding paint. The paint base is the product they add tint to to make the colored paint they sell. It is available in several grades, depending on what the final color will be. The manufacturer should have one that is called neutral, which is clear. As I understand it, the advantage of using a neutral paint base is that it contains the UV inhibitors, mildewcide and fungicide of the paint, which makes it a higher quality and longer lasting product than most consumer grade clear exterior finishes. The paint base may look cloudy in the can, but should dry clear. Just make sure it's the neutral base. The others won't dry clear.

You may get funny looks from the sales clerk at the paint store. They may not realize that they can sell untinted paint base, but insist on it and tell them what you are using it for. They'll get the idea.

As with any experimental finishing schedule, it's probably worth testing out before committing this to a finished project.

Again, I cannot personally vouch for the validity of this method, but it seems quite logical. Oil based, exterior paint is basically varnish with tint added to it, along with those other additives that help it stand up to the elements. I've long wanted to try it myself, but I haven't had any exterior surfaces that required a clear finish, but someday I will test this out for myself. If you choose to do so, please post back and let us know how it worked out for you.
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

If you use good quality exterior paints for your project you should not need any additional sealers.
        Gary

Comment

You can also use some deck sealer/water proofer. Just use caution. Some sealers have tinting in them. You want the sealers that go on clear.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I agree with Mike. I have used the Minwax Urethane several times on outside signs, and it works great. Once a year do a clean up, light sand and add another coat or two.
            Hawaiilad
            Larry

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions. I have checked it out and can buy the Minwax Urethane locally, so that might be the way I will go for this project. I am real curious about Bill's suggestion and may have to check that ut further in the future. Thanks again everyone.
              Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Comment

Good luck Tammy.

One issue I have with the standard exterior products, commonly available, is that they need regular and frequent sanding & maintenance to keep up their look and protective qualities for any length of time. To a large degree, that comes with the territory with items subjected to the elements, but I wonder if we are being unrealistic to expect recipients of our gifts to annually sand and re-apply a finish to an item that was given to them? Maybe some will, but I suspect many won't. I think it's wise to try and find the longest lasting product, in order for them to get the most enjoyment out of the piece for the longest time possible. That's one reason why the clear paint base intrigues me. A high quality exterior paint will last several years before needing re-applied. My expectation would be that the clear base would have similar longevity, but alas, I have no first hand proof of that. And I certainly don't recommend anyone experimenting with it on anything but a test piece.

Good luck with your project and hopefully one of us will get a chance to do some testing with clear exterior paint bases to find out for certain if it works.
                Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                  Reply to New tools
                  by jim_mex
                  Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                  Yesterday, 11:14 PM
                • Hobbyhorse
                  Reply to New tools
                  by Hobbyhorse
                  Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                  Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                • Hobbyhorse
                  Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                  by Hobbyhorse
                  Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                  Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                • KarlB
                  Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                  by KarlB
                  Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                  Yesterday, 09:41 PM
                • KarlB
                  Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                  by KarlB
                  Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                  Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                Working...
                X