Coasters and Trivets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coasters and Trivets

I am making some coaters and trivets from 3/8th baltic birch ply, both have decorative cut outs and the edges are rounded over. I sell these at the craft fairs but I have never been happy with the finish, which is usually an oil based finish. I feel I should give them a finish so that the customers can clean them with a damp cloth from time to time so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to make them from hardwoods and that would solve a lot of problems but I don't have a planer and getting planed wood here is a big problem.

I would think oil based would work well for a finish and being able to wipe them down with a damp cloth. How is that not working?
    If it's plywood type material it needs to be sealed good or water will get in there and separate that plywood won't it?

Comment

I've had great success with spray poly. It's easy to apply, doesn't clog up in the corners, and will stand the test of time. Poly is a tough shell like finish, so it stands up well against water and such....
      You'll want to do about 4 coats....
      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
      No task is too tedious for Art.
      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

I made loads of coasters when I did the fairs with my Pyro work, I used Acrylic silk or gloss laquer, (depending on the look I wanted) also at times an outdoor varnish, and the finish on the ones I still have several years later (with just a damp wipe in soapy water) is as good as new. Also never had a problem due to the heat of hot drinks. Keeping wooden coasters clean is a must however as they can get sticky and stick to your cup hehe.

examples below.

Sunlion
        Attached Files
        The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

Does anyone see a problem with a lacquer finish for coasters? I just made my first set and I used lacquer as I do on everything else I make.

Comment

Fretnot, use what ever thickness hardwood you can get. My trivets range in thickness from 3/8" (10mm) to 7/8" (22mm). I use poly to give mine a protective finish. I generally use a small brush to get it into the frets if they are small and then either brush, wipe or spray the surface. I spray it on if the frets are large. Three or four surface coats does the trick. As Catlyn said, water will tend to get between the layers of ply and separate them no matter how well you try to seal the edges.

george
            A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
            George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Maybe you're better off not using ply. The ones I made are from various 1/4" solid woods.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the benefit of your experience. I have taken a lot of what has been said on board and come up with an acceptable finish by using two coats of shellac sealer and then spraying them with a satin finish acrylic lacquer. I will tell customers just to wipe them over rather that put them in with the dishes. I hate having stuff in my booth that is not absolutely right. I just finished the enclosed and the fret work is from 3/16 birch ply that was treated in the same way. Thanks again everyone, much appreciated.
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice cut

I used to use finished that gave me a high gloss on my smaller work, they always stood out in a craft hall hehe. people like shiny things, then once they were up close they spotted the bigger more expensive stuff, hehe.
                  The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

On my trivets I use Tung oil or Mineral Oil to soak them, and after they dry I shoot one side with a Poly...this allows the customer to display one side on the wall (the gloss side) but still be able to use the Oil side for hot dishes set on the table. I apply about 4 coats of Poly to the one side. I do use Hardwoods all the time for them.
                    Hawaiilad
                    Larry

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                      Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                      by NC Scroller
                      I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                      Today, 11:24 AM
                    • NC Scroller
                      Reply to Big week here
                      by NC Scroller
                      Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                      Today, 11:18 AM
                    • jim_mex
                      Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                      by jim_mex
                      Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
                      Today, 09:17 AM
                    • jim_mex
                      Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                      by jim_mex
                      Hi guys - it seems like I am back in business. The offending 'F' key seemed to lack sufficient travel to push down on the main board so I stuck a thin sliver of plastic under it with super glue and that seems to have solved the problem.

The only downside is I now have no excuses for my...
                      Today, 08:42 AM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                      by Rolf
                      WOW! I really like your taste in doors etc. I have have always leaned towards contemporary / modern. But our house is a small cape and that style would not suit it. Since we are both Geminis we have 4 people and our house is very eclectic. Each room has a bit of different style.
                      Today, 08:20 AM
                    Working...
                    X