Swatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swatch

This will not be a new idea to most but may prove useful to new crafters, hobbiests and scrollers generally.

Some years ago when I started doing pyro work, I used to buy in wooden blanks from Dalecraft in UK where I live and the would create a design then burn it in.

I mostly used Sycamore blanks and also 6mm Birch faced Ply sheet(as we call it here). One time I bought in quite a lot of sycamore coasters and created a large number for the fairs I would attend.

Anyhow, I also bought some wood dye samples (they came in small plastic sample bottles), possibly from the same place I bought my sealants and laquers etc, and got to wondering how Pyro work would look on different finishes and dyes.

So, I made this simple swatch (below) from some left over square sycamore coasters.

I dyed each one after drilling a small hole in the corner and burning in the name of the wood dye, and a small floral pattern in a top portions. This allowed me to see a how small blocked in piece incorporating a small lined in design and of course some lettering would contrast with different dyes.

I then waxed each one and tied them up with a small length of leather thong. (plastic tie would suffice)

Seven years later on rearranging my little workshop I came across them and although never polished they still stand up well.

I am sure many people also keep swatches of different woods, as well as finishes. But thought I would post them as a handy tip as they were very useful when I was cosidering different blank and flatwork projects.

Sunlion
    Attached Files
    The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Good idea . It has never occured to me to keep or make a swatch for the different woods and treating them for future reference .

Thanks for the post .
    Roger

Comment

Thanks for sharing, love that idea.
      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X