Cedar Fret Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedar Fret Project

I'm working on a wolf fret project cut from 1/2" aromic cedar, this is the 1st time using this type of wood, a guy I work with donated it to me, since is was free I couldn't turn it down. What should I do to finish it? I have some deft spray on the shelf, also some watco danish oil. Keeping cedar smell is not important. Any help well appreciated.
    Last edited by smitty0312; 11-13-2011, 09:27 AM.
    Dan

My Gallery

I would soak it in some lemon oil and after a couple of days shoot it with the Deft spray lacquer....my two cents worth .........MB .........
    Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

..Dependingon the age of the cedar there MIGHT be too much oil left in it to hold the deft spray....(might bubble or blister as the oil comes to the surface ...i DID have that experience long ago when we used cedar to line a closet..(.not scroll sawing.)..don't know how long it would take for this to happen...our closet started reacting in less than a year and continued til the home was sold 6-8 years later.
      This cedar was actual lumber purchased from a lumber yard, don't know what drying methods were used on it in those days.

Comment

I work alot with cedar and I always finish with Formby's Tung Oil. I brings out the natural colors of cedar real well.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim McDonald
          Reply to Need advice...
          by Jim McDonald
          Thanks Carole!
          Today, 10:19 AM
        • will8989
          Reply to I decided I needed a challenge
          by will8989
          SLRA does a “spot” check. He’s lucky I’m keeping him around. It was free with a purchase at harbor freight. When people pick up a basket to examine, usually first time customers, they inspect everything for glue ups, drill holes, etc. of course, I don’t think half of them know what they are...
          Today, 09:08 AM
        • Rolf
          by Rolf
          Interesting, I will nee to try that.
          Today, 08:01 AM
        • handibunny
          by handibunny
          Back in my days of collecting antique pottery, I used to carry a a small blacklight unit to check for repairs that were invisible to the naked eye. I never knew that it could detect glue spots. That's a lot neater than using mineral spirits, or waiting until a sealer coat of shellac reveals missed...
          Today, 06:22 AM
        • will8989
          Reply to My lucky day!
          by will8989
          Being a diet controlled type 2 diabetic, I check my glucose. Checked before my shot on Tuesday it was fine. Checked on Wednesday after a morning walk expecting to see less than 100 and about fainted when it read 158. Every check has been 150 or more since then. Started reading and yes, the shots can...
          Yesterday, 10:37 PM
        Working...
        X