Can you dip projects in stain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you dip projects in stain?

I got a project with a decent amount of small inside cuts that I am having problems getting stain on all of it and it is taking for ever to finish. Could I dip the piece in stain then rub off the excess after wards, kind like dipping in lemon oil?

Yes, you can dip your pieces. I've done that a few times and have to say it made for a different finish of course I didn't wipe mine I just done a quick dip. Now me saying that, I've found that I like the spary stain better, I have less waist of stain that way. It's left up to you, it is all depending on your taste and opinion. That's the great thing about this type of craft, each is to his own which makes even the same things different b/c each person does things different. So, I will say this, try it but in a smaller piece of wood and see if you like the outcome before doing your finish piece.
    "Keep Scrolling Along"
    Chris "The WoodArtist"
    https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodArtistWoodShop

Comment

Is there a certain temp for spray stain? I'm in Minnesota and the only place I got to do this indoor is my upstairs bathroom and I don't want to make a mess out of it.

Comment

Yup, dipping in stain is fine. Be sure to get all the excess off, you wouldnt want dry runs of stain on your hard work!
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Originally posted by jpedersm View Post
          Is there a certain temp for spray stain? I'm in Minnesota and the only place I got to do this indoor is my upstairs bathroom and I don't want to make a mess out of it.
          You can get away with taking your project outside, and spraying it right away, and then bringing it back inside. I know it gets cold in MN (Im in WI) but this time of the year its still possible to do this.
          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I'm not sure on a temp for spray stain. I'm in Arkansas and have never really payed that much attention the spray type I get is the minwax in the spray can it works just like spray paint. I don't stain much as I'm the type that likes the natural finish but I do use the spray can clear as I don't have a air sprayer (yet, planning on getting one soon) and I spray in a homemade spray booth which is a built box out of wood and a box fan and a heat/air unit filter in the back with the fan blowing out and the filter on the inside. It works great.
            "Keep Scrolling Along"
            Chris "The WoodArtist"
            https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodArtistWoodShop

Comment

How long should I leave the project outside if I stain it and what temps would be to cold for this?

Comment

If you read the directions on the can it will usually tell you optimum temperatures. You can bring it back in doors right away but it will have what is referred to as cast off ( smell of the chemicals) until it cures.
                "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I dip my fret work all the time for the very reason stated. Then I pat or dab them to get the excess stain off. Rubbing can lead to broken fret work on the piece. I also employ a air compressor to blow excess stain out of the small areas while it lays on an old towel this keeps the stain from running out of the cut out area and down the front or back of the piece leaving the run stains talked about by Lucky788scroller above...

Comment

Originally posted by HAMMER View Post
                    I dip my fret work all the time for the very reason stated. Then I pat or dab them to get the excess stain off. Rubbing can lead to broken fret work on the piece. I also employ a air compressor to blow excess stain out of the small areas while it lays on an old towel this keeps the stain from running out of the cut out area and down the front or back of the piece leaving the run stains talked about by Lucky788scroller above...
                    I tried both and like dipping the best. Here are the almost end results. I have to sand tomorrow and re coat with a poly.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X