Masking & finishing before gluing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masking & finishing before gluing

I've come across several articles lately that include a technique I don't understand. When making a piece that has to be glued together, like intarsia or something with a decoration on it, the instructions will say to mask off the glue area, finish the pieces separately and let dry, and then glue them together.

I know that we mask the glue area because glue doesn't stick well to finish--that isn't the question.

What I'm wondering is, why not simply glue everything together first, and then finish it? The masking adds a degree of difficulty and effort that seems unnecessary to me, but I know the artists wouldn't be doing it without a good reason. So, what's the reason? They're using the same finish on both pieces, and detailing the finish out of the crevises on both pieces...what's the advantage of doing them separately and then gluing them?

Thanks!
    Mindy
    "Take something you love, tell people about it, bring together people who share your love, and help make it better. Ultimately, you'll have more of whatever you love for yourself and for the world." - Julius Schwartz, DC Comics pioneer, 1915-2004

Mindy, if you glue before finishing any glue that is squeezed out and then you try to remove it by wiping it off will most likely affect the wood and the finish will not look the same wherever the glue is.
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Ah hah, that makes sense. Thanks, Mick!
      "Take something you love, tell people about it, bring together people who share your love, and help make it better. Ultimately, you'll have more of whatever you love for yourself and for the world." - Julius Schwartz, DC Comics pioneer, 1915-2004

Comment

Hi Mindy,
        Mick there hit the nail on the head for ya (hes from Wisconsin too, of course he is smart! ) One other reason one might do that is for sanding the finish. It is so much easier to sand the coats of finish on flat parts as opposed to a fully assembled project, like the big clocks for example.Its hard to sand into all those tight corners, but needs to be done to have a nice smooth finish.
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Mindy,

Sometimes you can compromise by applying just a sealer coat of shellac that will protect against squeeze-out, but still allow you to do the final finishing after assembly. I do that with my ring boxes, which are easier to finish once assembled, where the shellac allows for clean-up of any of the epoxy I use for the hinges. I usually put in too much, and it oozes out a bit.

Also, you can spot-sand any places where you need to attach something after the piece is finished, like the decorative ornaments on my "furniture boxes". It's a matter of applying the principles selectively to get the effect that you want with the least amount of trouble.
          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I started doing this because of mentioned glue squeeze out, and I was never able to keep the finish from puddling up in 90 degree corners. Of course I am new at this which may account for some of my problems.
            Ron

My sawdust gallery

Comment

Thanks for the additional tips and explanations--this makes perfect sense now.

Thank you!
              ~Mindy

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• handibunny
                Reply to EX dust collection holes screwed up a project.!
                by handibunny
                Rolf, smaller bowl-cutting angles, 30˚ or less, usually don't present a problem either with vibration or for cutting into the table. It's when you get into the 40˚ and 45˚ range that things get dicey for both. (The Seyco saw doesn't even cut bevels greater than 35˚ or so!) If you add even a slight...
                Today, 09:21 AM
              • Bill Wilson
                by Bill Wilson
                I've done some bevel cutting on my EX-21 as well and also have not experienced any added vibration, nor have I cut into the table. Perhaps I haven't cut at a steep enough angle, but the existing blade hole has been sufficient. I do despise the useless vacuum holes, but I've learned to live with them...
                Today, 09:06 AM
              • cwmagee
                by cwmagee
                Carole Your hole size was a concern when I purchased the Pegas Replacement Table for my EX21, because I had cut into the side of hole on the original table, The damage I did to the old table was due to the blade adjustments were not in the center of blade holders. So far that has not been an issue...
                Today, 08:40 AM
              • Rolf
                by Rolf
                That is an interesting point Carole. I have done some bevel cutting on the EX and can't say that I have experienced an increase in vibration or any problems with following the lines. I know when I cut one of your bowl designs on my Hawk I really had to concentrate on not pushing down hill....
                Today, 07:28 AM
              • handibunny
                by handibunny
                Just a word of caution about the size of the blade hole. When I used a DeWalt years ago in the infamous community woodshop, and also with my more recent experiences with the Jet, if you do much bevel cutting at a steep angle, you will cut into the table. That's why inserts have the slot that can be...
                Today, 06:21 AM
              Working...
              X