Masking & finishing before gluing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masking & finishing before gluing

I've come across several articles lately that include a technique I don't understand. When making a piece that has to be glued together, like intarsia or something with a decoration on it, the instructions will say to mask off the glue area, finish the pieces separately and let dry, and then glue them together.

I know that we mask the glue area because glue doesn't stick well to finish--that isn't the question.

What I'm wondering is, why not simply glue everything together first, and then finish it? The masking adds a degree of difficulty and effort that seems unnecessary to me, but I know the artists wouldn't be doing it without a good reason. So, what's the reason? They're using the same finish on both pieces, and detailing the finish out of the crevises on both pieces...what's the advantage of doing them separately and then gluing them?

Thanks!
    Mindy
    "Take something you love, tell people about it, bring together people who share your love, and help make it better. Ultimately, you'll have more of whatever you love for yourself and for the world." - Julius Schwartz, DC Comics pioneer, 1915-2004

Mindy, if you glue before finishing any glue that is squeezed out and then you try to remove it by wiping it off will most likely affect the wood and the finish will not look the same wherever the glue is.
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Ah hah, that makes sense. Thanks, Mick!
      "Take something you love, tell people about it, bring together people who share your love, and help make it better. Ultimately, you'll have more of whatever you love for yourself and for the world." - Julius Schwartz, DC Comics pioneer, 1915-2004

Comment

Hi Mindy,
        Mick there hit the nail on the head for ya (hes from Wisconsin too, of course he is smart! ) One other reason one might do that is for sanding the finish. It is so much easier to sand the coats of finish on flat parts as opposed to a fully assembled project, like the big clocks for example.Its hard to sand into all those tight corners, but needs to be done to have a nice smooth finish.
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Mindy,

Sometimes you can compromise by applying just a sealer coat of shellac that will protect against squeeze-out, but still allow you to do the final finishing after assembly. I do that with my ring boxes, which are easier to finish once assembled, where the shellac allows for clean-up of any of the epoxy I use for the hinges. I usually put in too much, and it oozes out a bit.

Also, you can spot-sand any places where you need to attach something after the piece is finished, like the decorative ornaments on my "furniture boxes". It's a matter of applying the principles selectively to get the effect that you want with the least amount of trouble.
          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I started doing this because of mentioned glue squeeze out, and I was never able to keep the finish from puddling up in 90 degree corners. Of course I am new at this which may account for some of my problems.
            Ron

My sawdust gallery

Comment

Thanks for the additional tips and explanations--this makes perfect sense now.

Thank you!
              ~Mindy

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                Farmers market "survey"
                by Linda In Phoenix
                Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                Today, 11:14 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to Farmers market
                by Linda In Phoenix
                Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                Today, 11:00 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                by Linda In Phoenix
                Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                Today, 09:57 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                by Rolf
                So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                I like the fact...
                Today, 08:34 AM
              • will8989
                Reply to Farmers market
                by will8989
                Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                Today, 08:17 AM
              Working...
              X