rubbing alcohol for paint thinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rubbing alcohol for paint thinner

I read a artical ,some time back about a project that was at least partly painted,and they mentioned ,using rubbing alcohol as the thinner ,I have hunted high and low and can not find it ,So to the experts ,any body know about it's
    use I assume they were talking about acrylic latex craft paints.Any information would be appreciated regarding thinners for same other than water ,hints ,tips ,
    special formulas etc. would be of great interest.

Thanks!
    Carl

I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum to maximize traffic and get you more responses to your request/question.
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 11-07-2011, 11:39 PM.
    "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
    Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Hi, Carl,
    Latex paint is water-based and can be thinned with plain old water.
    If you google Paint Thinners you should find several articles on what solvents or
    thinners to use with the various types of paint due to their 'binder' composition.
    God Bless! Spirithorse

Comment

Originally posted by Spirithorse View Post
      Hi, Carl,
      Latex paint is water-based and can be thinned with plain old water.
      If you google Paint Thinners you should find several articles on what solvents or
      thinners to use with the various types of paint due to their 'binder' composition.
      God Bless! Spirithorse
      I will check it out,Why it stuck in my head with winter coming and cold temps.
      I thought some one possibly with chemistry knowledge had found a way to keep it from freezing ,and or possible other benefits ,helpful benefits. I guess
      just wishful thinking on my part ,the world is a big place ,so I thought I would
      ask ,and may be ,just maybe ,get lucky ,and gain some extra knowledge from
      a unexpected source !
      Thanks!
      My Very Best!
      Carl

Comment

You can get rubbing alcohol in the drug stores.

When I paint with acrylic paints (the little 2 oz bottles of craft paints) I use the alcohol to remove paint. I thin the paint with just plain water.
        Always store your paints inside - don't let them freeze. I"ve never thought about adding anything to the paint to stop it from freezing, but I would still keep them in a warm area.

T
        Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Was this the article Carl? acrylic paints
          Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Originally posted by evilbadger View Post
            Was this the article Carl? acrylic paints
            Thank you,No but a good article,since posting ,I have gone on the web and
            found awesome amount ,pro think you need to add medium to counteract chemical changes caused by alcohol to restore strength and gloss lost ,other
            anti ,as little DISTILLED waters as possible,no mention of anti-freeze ability,
            still looking ,some even add extracts to tame or add scent to painting.So much to learn and so little time,My best! Carl

Comment

I used ipa to thin my acrylics when I wanted a softer look and I didn't want to raise the grain. The ipa evaporates a lot faster than the water so there is much less distortion of the grain of the wood. worked for me.
              Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
              Desert Woodcrafters
              Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

I would imagine the alcohol would evaporate way to quickly used as a thinner, but that is just my assumption. I like to wipe down my cast iron saw tables with it just before applying a coat of Johnsons paste wax.
                Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X