Should I stain or Glue first.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I stain or Glue first.

A lady at walmart the does some scroll work says she stains the project first then glues it and finally a clear coat is there any problems when doing this way?

Not usually so long as you let the stain cure. it is better if you can glue to a virgin surface of course. Most scrolled projects do not require a lot of strength. Us a good quality wood glue and try and keep fresh glue on hand most glues are only good for about a year once opened..
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

How long does it usually take stain to clear?

Comment

Hi jpedersm - Mike's answer makes sense.
        One other important point is that if you glue first there is always a chance of glue squeezing out onto visible surfaces and even if wiped off it usually leaves a smear that a subsequent stain application won't take to. If however you stain first such glue smears will usually cover by the top coat and go unnoticed provide that the glue normally dries transparent

Ref stain drying/curing . this depends on what type of stain you are using. Alcohol stains dry very quickly, as soon as the alcohol evaoprates. Water based stains usually dry in a couple of hours provided the conditions around the piece are fine - room temperature or slightly warmer is usually sufficient. Oil based stains can take24 hours or longer to cure. In all cases follow the manufacturers instructions and dry or cure the stained article in a well ventilated area and you'll be ok.
        Last edited by jim_mex; 11-06-2011, 03:52 AM.
        Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
        - Albert Einstein

Comment

I agree with jim . If you stain first,glue might get on the stain .and then sand ect,ect.....

Comment

Not everything can be glued first. If I have to stain and or clear coat first I then glue up using epoxy or gorilla glue. Even with these it is best to wait a day or two.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I think it depends on the project but I almost always stain everything before applying glue. I usually use minwax natural stain and just let it dry overnight.

Comment

Thanks you guys. Also what is the best way to get the best finish with a clear coat. I have provided something to base on below, but feel free to to go off the topics I listed below.

1. Spray on
                1a. Sand after a light coat if so what grit #?
                2. Brush on
                3. What type of clear coat products have worked best for you guys?

Comment

1. yep
                  1a. 320.
                  2 spray again let cure rub down with brown paper bag.
                  3. spray final coat.
                  "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Thanks Mike. Also if anyone wants to aswer anything else what is the best place to order woord online. I have been ordering from Ocooch Hardwoods - Supplier of Wood for Scroll Sawing, Carving Stock, Intarsia wood, Plywood for scroll sawing, and more. but is any other place any believes that is better.

Comment

Those are some very fair prices.
                      "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Now I'm a woodworker first and scroller second... so be patient with my answer and please differ if you want too. In woodworking (cabinet making), we never stain first because it weakens the glue joints. But if one must stain first, it is recommended to tape the glue surfaces. Once the stain dries, we remove the tape from the glue up surfaces, and glue the project.

But as you fellow scroll saw workers have suggested, scroll saw projects may not need to be as strong as cabinet working. So my suggestion is to follow Jim's procedure. The only additional advice I could add is to tape the glue surfaces as best you can, stain your project pieces and once the stain dries, remove the tape and glue your joints. Even if the joint is so small, you can only add a small piece of tape, add it and remove it once the stain is dry. I would also like to suggest you use a good quality tape like the blue or green masking tapes.
                        It's never hot or cold in NH, it's always seasonal!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X