Finishing Candle holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing Candle holder

I just made a candle holder for my mom for christmas and in the prosess of making more. Since the wood will be touching the candle jar and hot spots what kind of stain and clear coat should I use?

Well The jar should not be a problem and if you really are getting hot spots you need to re-design the holder as a hot spot could lead to a fire. There should be no hot spots. For a finish I'd just dip in boiled linseed oil or watco danish oil. You can of course stain if you prefer.

Share a picture and tell us what kind of wood so we can be more informative....
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
      Well The jar should not be a problem and if you really are getting hot spots you need to re-design the holder as a hot spot could lead to a fire. There should be no hot spots. For a finish I'd just dip in boiled linseed oil or watco danish oil. You can of course stain if you prefer.

Share a picture and tell us what kind of wood so we can be more informative....

The only place that the jar would be touching is at the bottom and close to the top. I am not for sure on how hot this will be or not, but I thought I better ask before doing something. The wood I am using is baltic birch.
      Attached Files

Comment

With that design you should be just fine. By the time any heat gets to the bottom the flame will go out anyway. So the finishing methods i mentioned should work fine or you can use a wipe on gel or a spay on finish if you would like ..There will be little to no heat in that design.
        "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

BTW It turned out nice...
          "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

The candlestick is just beautiful!!!

Comment

Yes the candlestick is lovely - she will love it!
                DeWalt 788

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X