Winter in Woodshop???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter in Woodshop???

Ok I have a question, My workshop is in my very small garage. The garage is not heated and I'm planing on using a kerosine heater for the winter, My question is that I'm going to build some cupboards and what do you think if I insulate one well and keep a small 60watt bulb on in it would it keep the stains and poly from freezing? The garage is not attached so keeping these things in the apartment is a horrible option. Do you think a 60 watt bulb will do the job? I don't believe the heat will be dangerous but would like other alternatives if you know any. thanks Wildcat
    Yea I walked through The Valley of Death and I kicked it's ***
    Semper Fi

I think that would work fine. Would you place it close to the bottom of the cupboard, as heat rises? I'd want it insulated so that only one side is open and immobile not swinging free. Share some pics with us.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Wildcat, you could try it with a thermometer to see how warm the bulb keeps it. I would be a little leery of a kerosene heater with fine sawdust around in a small place.
      Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Mick I think his kerosene heater may be the enclosed no flame style. I hope so. No open flames in a scroll saw shop/wood working shop...
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

A 25 watt may be enough,like stated above check with a thermometer.Locals around here use a 100 watt for pump boxes down to the teens.
          Tony

Comment

Hey, Wildcat, that sounds like it would be OK to try. My Dad used to put a trouble light inside his truck hood to keep it warm enough for easier starting in the mornings. Just be careful of the bulb touching anything. Good Luck.
            PERK

Comment

I agree, a 60 watt bulb should be plenty. As suggested use a thermometer, refrigerator temp thingy, etc. And see if lower wattage would work.

When I was growing up in Spokane, Wa, we also used a trouble light under the hood. Outside temps below zero sometimes.
              Ron

My sawdust gallery

Comment

If heating with Kerosene make sure you install a carbon monoxide alarm.
                Scott
                Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I have used a kerosene heater in the shop with no problems. I only use it when I am in the shop and don't leave it on when I leave. To protect paints and stains, I found an old refrigerator box and it works fine without a light but that would work also. I found a used appliance dealer who sells older units for scrap and sold me the box for $15. I wanted a freezer box but he didn't have one available.

Comment

I agree with Scott be very careful with the heater. Even with plenty of ventilation they always gave me vicious headaches. I put in an electric ceiling heater, no flames and no CO
                    Rolf
                    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm biulding a shed this week and the cupboards next week, and yea I'll post some pics. As far as the light gonna try a 60 Watt bulb. as far as insulation I think I'll use the same foam panals I'm puting on the garage door. I figure I can jusy spray glue it to the inside of one cupboard. I will put a Carbon Monoxide alarm in the garage tho as poor as the door fits the wind might blow it down lol.
                      Yea I walked through The Valley of Death and I kicked it's ***
                      Semper Fi

Comment

I use a kerosene heater in my shop with no problems. I also use to use a small refrigerator(no longer working) to keep my glue and finishes from freezing. I just removed the motor and coils, drilled a hole and put an outlet in the bottom of the fridge and use a couple night lights to keep it warm. It works very well, since it is already insulated. Have not had anything freeze.
                        Clayton

Comment

Originally posted by clayton717 View Post
                          I use a kerosene heater in my shop with no problems. I also use to use a small refrigerator(no longer working) to keep my glue and finishes from freezing. I just removed the motor and coils, drilled a hole and put an outlet in the bottom of the fridge and use a couple night lights to keep it warm. It works very well, since it is already insulated. Have not had anything freeze.

An old dishwasher will do as a refrigerator and best of all it installs under a bench.
                          Scott
                          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                            Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                            by will8989
                            Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                            Today, 10:32 AM
                          • Sandy Oaks
                            Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                            by Sandy Oaks
                            As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                            Today, 09:46 AM
                          • NC Scroller
                            Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                            by NC Scroller
                            I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                            Today, 07:42 AM
                          • NC Scroller
                            by NC Scroller
                            I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                            Today, 07:39 AM
                          • Linda In Phoenix
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                            Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                          Working...
                          X