Finishing a gift for a 7 year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing a gift for a 7 year old

I am making a gift for my nephew, he is 7. I am using oak (I'm pretty sure, lost the paper that said what it was) Anyway I was wondering if I should leave it without a finish on it. He may want to play with it and I don't want anything toxic on it.
    http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/q...ckloader-1.jpg I still have to cut the outside out but this is what it looks like so far.

Thanks for any help

Most finishes once cured are child safe. You can use danish oil dip and poly spray on it for sure. BTW it does look like oak.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Just a tip...

Here is the preferred way to post photos. This method will apply a thumbnail so that messages load faster, keeping those who are still on dial up in mind.

If it is a new thread scroll down below the message box to additional options and look for manage attachments,Click on Manage Attachments, click Browse, find your file name on your computer, click it, then click Upload. It may take a few seconds to load.
      Once you see the file name under current attachments you can close the window.
      If you want you can Preview Post (a wise choice) then if all is well, click on Submit reply.

If you are uploading a picture to an existing thread (conversation)
      Click on the Go Advanced button under the reply box, Click on Manage Attachments, click Browse, find your file name on your computer, click it, then click Upload. It may take a few seconds to load.
      Once you see the file name under current attachments you can close the window.
      If you want you can Preview Post (a wise choice) then if all is well, click on Submit reply.
      Good luck
      Last edited by wood-n-things; 09-25-2011, 12:18 PM.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

According to Jeff Jewitt, a highly regarded author and authority on wood finishing, all finishes available to the consumer are non-toxic once they are fully cured. For a 7 year old, I wouldn't hesitate to use whatever finish you prefer.

A good indicator of when a finish is fully cured is when it is no longer emitting an odor, or off-gassing. If you still have concerns, shellac and mineral oil are both natural and totally safe and edible. Mineral oil can be ingested straight from the bottle, but it is a laxative, so it isn't without it's downside. Shellac is used to coat candies and pills.
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I think it looks more like poplar.
          ...Just my opinion....
          Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
          No task is too tedious for Art.
          Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
          Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Nice job so far. I agree with jim, looks like poplar
            Don

Comment

finishing gift for nephew

Hi again I am finished with the frontloader now and have stained it with cherry. I decided it wasn't going to be something he played with, I am going to put a picture hook on the back.
              I was wondering about poly, do I need it? If I do what exactly does poly do?
              Here is what it looks like now
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Joanne,

Nice job on the cutting!

A clear finish will provide some protection from dirt, dust etc. Even the natural oil on our skin will leave marks on plain wood, if handled much. It this piece is intended to hang on a wall, then there is really no need to apply a finish, if you don't want to. The other thing a clear finish will do is give the piece a little sheen. Again, not necessary and I'm sure the piece looks great, just as it is.

If you do wish to finish it with poly, I would suggest using poly in spray can. Apply light coats from various angles to get good coverage. Follow the instructions about recommended drying time between coats and sanding and you will be fine. If you try to brush poly on something like this, you can end up with a lot of runs & puddles inside the frets.

Good luck, hope this helps!
                Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Wow Joanne....!!!!
                  That came out splendid...!!!!
                  When I was seven, I would have loved something like that on my wall....
                  ....Very cool...!!!!!
                  Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                  No task is too tedious for Art.
                  Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                  Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Thanks for the compliments, I am really happy with it. I am going to use the spray poly, just have to go get some. Should I wait unil it dries, which I guess is when the strong smell goes away, before I put the poly on? Living and learning as I go...

Comment

Joanne, that cutting is awesome I'm sure your nephew will admire it for years.

Mike

Comment

Joanne,

Yes, it's always a good idea to allow stain to dry before applying a clear finish. It should only take a few days, and you are correct. You will know it's completely dry when the smell has gone away.

Comment

Great job on the front loader! Can I ask where you got the pattern? My nephew would love one on his walls! actually - he would love one in his back yard to actually drive and dig with.... lol
                          T
                          Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X