glue over stain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glue over stain?

Not sure if this fits here, but it does involve a "finish." I'm completing a project someone else started, and I need to glue a thin aluminum clock face onto wood that has already been stained. It was an oil based stain (Minwax), and I've masked off the dial area so the finish (wipe-on poly) doesn't cover where I need to glue. The question is, what kind of glue can I use to bond metal to wood over stain? I'm concerned the stain might interfere with the bonding.

Bruce
    Bruce
    . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
    visit sometime
    Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Hi Bruce,

I'd say either silicone or urethane (Gorilla) glue should do the job nicely.

Try to give the surface a slight sanding first with 120 or 180 grit to roughen the surface up somewhat. Make sure you clean it up after the sanding.

Personally I would opt for the silicone. The Urethane will foam up and if you are not familiar with it and don't wipe off the excess before it dries...

Well let's just say that chaste ears should not be around you at that time.

Regards,
    Marcel
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Use CA glue

Another option, first be sure the Minwax stain and the poly are completely dry, lightly sand the area, clean it, and then use CA glue, hold it in place for a half a minute, and that should do it.

Comment

I wonder if Weldbond would work? It says it will bond metal to wood, not sure about the stain though. Also may try a 2 part epoxy. I think that would work, even with the stain.
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Bruce, I would use an x-acto or utility knife with a pointed blade and scratch the wood where the the glue will be applied. That will give the glue something to grab onto. I would also rough up the aluminum with sandpaper too. I do that when gluing picture frames, never had one come apart yet. Mick
          Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Glues

All good suggestions, usually, it is dirt, oils, polish, or some other residue that causes poor adhesion between the substrate and the glue.

In this case, where the clock must lay flat on the surface, a thin flowing glue most likely would be something you would want to consider.

Comment

Another choice I thought of was contact cement. I've used it before with laminates for counter tops, but the back side of the laminate is porous. The back side of the clock dial is smooth and painted, so I don't know how well it would work here. Also, this dial has an 11" diameter, so I'll need some working time to get it covered and down.

Bruce
              Bruce
              . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
              visit sometime
              Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

I would say a CA glue sounds like the best idea. get the thicker type (what comes to mind is 'Hot Stuff Super T' ca glue). Im not sure of your application, but I think you would only need a little dab of it.If you are doing what I am thinking , when you attach the movement, you will have a thin brass washer and a nut that will also be holding it in place. Be sure you have your dial perfectly lined up right, and 12 is at top precisely, once the glue dries, theres no turning back! Dale
                Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

The back of your clock face may also have a plastic film or clear coat on it.

Epoxy would also work 5 min is great if you don't putz too much.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Which glue, is the right glue?

Epoxies are great glues, for filling damages, and for making parts. But in this case, you would need to "spead out" the mixed epoxy, so, it lays down into a very thin layer, so, you do not have large seperation, between the clock and the wood.

Good luck, whichever, way you decide go.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X