Questions about sanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about sanding

I would like to sand but not by hand. I have two mop things, 120 and 180, I am going to get a higher/lower grit soon. It does make the outside nice and smooth. I am doing fretwork with pine and nothing that would break easily. How do you get inside and sand? I thought I read something about something that would sand the outside and the inside. I have some hesitation lumps here and there, I know I will have to do some hand sanding, some of the areas are so small that there isn't a dremel bit small enough to fit, or it will fit up to a point and then it gets to narrow. Any help would help, I just don't like hand sanding much

I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum to maximize traffic and get you more responses to your request/question.
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 09-07-2011, 01:58 PM.

For those interior cuts, I use needle files, and Emory boards and dowels wrapped in sand paper.

If you are going to continue working with wood, you are doomed to sanding to get a superior finish.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

JoAnne, you can make your own sanding strips, emery cloth works best but regular sandpaper will work. Cut a strip of sandpaper 5" long by 1/2" wide. Fold it in half lengthwise. Fasten it in your saw just like a blade, just enough tension to pull it tight, and sand away. You can make them any width you like. Thread it through your frets just like a blade. The more you use the saw the less sanding you will need. The blades we use now cut smoother than sanding.
      Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Hi

Widget Supply has 1/8 x 1/2 sanding bands - check it out. They are great and will get into tighter places than most of the official Dremel sanding bands.
        the listing is below:
        100pc 1/8 x 1/2 inch Sanding Bands, 4 grits, 2 Mandrels
        $5.97 - SKU: BBK16
        2-5 $5.67, 6+ $5.37

They have lots of other neat stuff as well.

El

Comment

JoAnne - I've used a WAHL ELECTRIC FILER/SANDER KIT for years. You can find them at Klingspor's Woodworking Shop. A bit pricey but worth it. Look closely at some of the attachments. When I have a bit more time, I'm going back to the Widget Supply that El pointed out.
          DeWalt 788

Comment

Wood n things thank you for moving my message!
            Sally that WAHL ELECTRIC FILER/SANDER KIT is the coolest thing I have seen. I think I will have to get that soon.
            The Widget Supply place had lots of cool stuff too. I love looking at scroll sawing stuff Thanks everyone

Comment

I have used a thin 1/4 strip of adhesive backed sandpaper (cut these from 5 in square sheets for a palm sander) and then fold it in half around a couple of used scroll saw blades it works very good for those really small places. The blades give you support and flexibility. You can also roll them up to get those round corners.
              Jerry
              Life's funny if you laugh at it!

http://dedijerry.blogspot.com/
              http://www.etsy.com/shop/DediWoodworks

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X