Solvent Paint Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solvent Paint Removal

I've recently applied a solvent based metallic aerosol paint to components of a segmented MDF project. Most of the paint went on fine, except for one segment which I found difficult to paint inside some nooks and crannies. As a result, I gave this piece several coats of paint and fear I've over-painted. The paint refused to set, even after being left for several days. This morning I took a household paint scraper to the segment and removed most of it but I couldn't reach all the paint, so traces remain although I have made an impression. There are still traces of the paint but abrasive paper is just getting clogged up.

I can smell the fumes of the paint solvent so I'm tempted to leave the segment until there's no more smell, then sand, apply some undercoat and respray. But I need to make sure that I get all the paint into the nooks and crannies properly this time without applying an excess on other areas of the segment.

I'm very much open to suggestions as to the way ahead!

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

My only thoughts on getting the paint into the nooks and crannies is to use a very small paintbrush. Spray some of your paint onto a hard surface (foam plate, aluminum foil ~ whatever), then brush it into the nooks. I thin my paint down significantly when I paint - it goes on much better than trying to put thicker paint on - it takes a few coats to get good coverage (depending on color of paint), but in your nooks and crannies it shouldn't matter as much.

Then spray the remainder of the pieces.

T
    Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Removing Paint

Gill

You mentioned a metallic solvent paint, which, is either an acrylic or a alkyd paint.

Generally, Lacquer Thinners or Acetone should remove the paint down to the wood.

Do not use "Paint Thinners /White Spirits" they are not intented to remove these coatings, you may have tried to wipe off the paint with these solvents, or some other solvent, that is why it not drying or coming off.

Comment

Ps

Gill

Try "misting on the paint," until you get color coverage inside the nooks and cranny's, then you can apply your flow coats.

Comment

Did it workt?

Gill

Did you get around to trying the "acetone or lacquer thinner" to remove all the sticky paint?

Or, did it heal itself, by finally drying out.

Have you completed the piece yet, or is it drying out.

Comment

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any acetone or lacquer thinner in any of our local DIY shops. There's plenty of new kitchen doors, banana pine wrapped in clear plastic, Chiwanese electric screwdrivers and wrought iron gate latches, but no fluids except white spirits and paint brush cleanser :roll:.

I didn't get into the workshop today to check, but I should imagine that the piece in question will have either dried out on its own or have almost done so. Ah well, the next time I visit a decent hardware store I'll keep my eyes open for acetone and lacquer thinner; it'll be handy to have some in stock for when I inevitably run into the same problem again.

Thanks for the advice.

Gill
            There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
            (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Another Option

Hi Gill,

Here, is another thought for you to keep in mind.

Your "finger nail polish" may contain some acetone, if you can check the bottle, it usually is buffered with water, but yet it is strong enough to remove nail polish, which normally is colored acrylic lacquer.

Gill, you may want to add this tip, into your finishing notebook, it may come in handy some day.

Good Luck

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                by will8989
                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                Today, 12:20 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                by Linda In Phoenix
                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                by will8989
                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                Yesterday, 10:32 AM
              • Sandy Oaks
                by Sandy Oaks
                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                Yesterday, 09:46 AM
              • NC Scroller
                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                by NC Scroller
                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                Yesterday, 07:42 AM
              Working...
              X