This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you flocked lately?

I'm sure there are some of you that have watched or seen us mention flocking our pieces and you go HUH? Here is a thread for and about flocking.

Here is a great short video (5 mins) on how to apply flocking.

YouTube - How to Apply Flocking

John B and a few others use acrylic paint instead of the colored glues sold by Donjer as they are less expensive and perhaps they will wade in here and share their technique, thinning of the paint, dry time etc.

I've used paint and had pretty good success but it does dry rather quickly so be aware of that. I did not purchase 3 tubes for the 3 colors of flocking I have I'm going to order 2 more. I've always just shaken the excess back into the bag and then used my air compressor to blow out the residue. I can see where using 2 colors in the same tube probably is not a good idea.

Anyone else who has used flocking please share your experiences with us as well.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Here are 2 locations to purchase flocking supplies.

Online Ordering DonJer Soft Flocking Fibers SuedeTex Products Kits Applicators Adhesive Gift Certificates Supplies

This place is actually a little less expensive.

Flocking Fibers for Hobbies and Crafts
    "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I have only done a little flocking. But from my little experience I have found that it helps to mix the acrylic paint with wood glue. I wasn't able to tell any color difference between the paint/glue mix and straight paint and the glue (a) extends the drying time by a couple of minutes and (b) holds the flocking fibers more securely then the plain paint.
      I started mixing paint and glue after I had some problems with the flocking fibers coming off with very light pressure, ever since then I haven't had any problems at all.
      John

I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations. James Madison

Comment

You're really askin' for it this time Bro. I don't know how long I can restrain myself.
        May the wind at you back .....
        Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

John,
          That is a very good tip. I would guess a glue that dries clear like Aileens may be best.

Oily,
          sit on your hands. You are forbidden from adding anything else to this thread......ROFL!
          "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Well, here's a tip that shouldn't offend anyone. To keep the paint from drying too fast, (I use matching acrylics) apply a coat of shellac to seal the wood first. Especially with porous woods, like mahogany, it makes a tremendous difference.

And I wouldn't even think of talking about "fearless flocking" . . . . .
            Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Ok...I'm probably starting trouble, but what are you talking about Rob???
              ...hehehe
              Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
              No task is too tedious for Art.
              Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
              Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

By the way, I did one project with flocking and it came out rather amazing....

I used the adhesive that came with the Donjer kit, so I don't have any opinions about alternate adhesives.

It did bring my project to a whole other level.......Love the stuff...!!!

box B interior close up.JPG box B top.JPG

Worth the investment all day......
                Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                No task is too tedious for Art.
                Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Well, here goes,
                  I use both Johns an Carols technique. I always finish my piece prior to flocking. I apply finish to inside as well as the out. When dry I sand the areas where flocking is going to be applied with 220-180g paper. This is not to smooth it, it is to provide "Tooth" for the acrylic Paint to stick to. I add a little PVA to my flocking paints, about 10%, it doesn't dilute the colour and does extend the drying time. Perhaps it helps the fibres to stick too, but I'm more inclined to think that the longer drying time allows the fibres to sink further into the paint, thus providing a better bond. The drying tome is also greatly extended by sealing the are first. This prevents the paint from being absorbed by the timber.

Mike, do the same as you, tip all the loose fibres back in the bag for use again. Advice I have read and from my own experience, a few fibres of different colours don't make any difference to the main colour, with the exception of WHITE. I haven't used white, I'm not sure why you'd want to, but from photos I have seen, white fibres stick out like a shag in a desert, when mixed with other colours.
                  Regards
                  John
                  "The Golden Mile"

“In my acting, I have to identify with something in the character. The big tough boy on the side of right—that’s me. Simple themes. Save me from the nuances. All I do is sincerity, and I’ve been selling the hell out of that ever since I started.
                  John Wayne
                  Some of my Stuff
                  Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

Great thread Mike - and at the risk of making Rob's comment somewhat immortal I've bumped this into a sticky thread seeing as the subject does come up a lot.
                    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                    - Albert Einstein

Comment

So that's where the thread went

Originally posted by jim_mex View Post
                      Great thread Mike - and at the risk of making Rob's comment somewhat immortal I've bumped this into a sticky thread seeing as the subject does come up a lot.
                      When I couldn't find this thread, I thought that all the talk about flocking caused it to be removed for . . . . impropriety, shall we say? Glad to see that wasn't the case, especially after Bob D made it clear that this site needs to be kept clean for our younger members (who probably know more than we do, anyway).
                      Carole

Comment

The instructions on the flocking kit suggest that you seal the area that is going to be flocked so that the colored paint/glue does not soak into the wood and dry up. That said I like flocking the insides of the drawers as it gives a more professional and finished look to the project.

DW
                        Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
                        John Wayne

Comment

I would like to add to this thread by saying, finish the outside first, or at least tape it up really really good. Here is a photo of some flocking that got loose while I was flocking the inside of the draw, I did have it taped up, but apparently not good enough, the outside didn't have a finish on it yet. That stuff is impossible to get off bare wood, I've used alcohol, mineral spirit, paint thinner, sanded to a certain point of not ruining the piece, and it still shows. Imagine what it could do to your lungs if not using safety equipment...........
                          IMG_5520 (Small).JPG IMG_5525 (Small).JPG
                          Last edited by Wood Dog; 05-05-2011, 09:08 AM.
                          Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

I make the flocking the very last step, after everything's finished and rubbed down. It's sort of like dessert.
                            Carole

Comment

WD, thanks for mentioning that. I meant to say something about sealing the outside of the wood first but forgot.
                              "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X