Pre-finished ply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-finished ply

I'm going to try my hand at cutting a portrait. A good friend of mine had to put down his faithful lab of 16 years and I thought I'd personalize a lab picture with his name and dates (years). The question is, I've got some pre-finished 1/8" ply I'd like to try using. What would be the best way to finish the inside of the cuts? Should I lay it upside down and spray from the back? Or not worry about the inside edges? Anybody out there with experience using pre-finished ply for their projects that could share what you do?

Bruce
    Bruce
    . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
    visit sometime
    Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

a few suggestions

Use a reverse tooth blade to minimize splintering.
    I would also place a thin piece of cardboard, maybe an old cereal box behind the wood.

There should be no inside sanding required on a 1/8 board, specially if you use a sharp new blade.

Personally, I wouldn't finish the inside cuts if the rest of the ply is finished.
    If you do want to spray, spray from behind. the overspray willnot show from the front.

You could also dip the wood in a stain, the stain will not stick to the poly finish but will stick inside the cutouts. You will have to wipe the excess stain off the front of the piece.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Thanx Carl.
      I'll try backing with thin cardboard. Most of the time I use a crown-tooth blade. How will these do with the thin ply?

Bruce
      Bruce
      . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
      visit sometime
      Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Crown is fine. I used to use them all the time, Actually I had forgotten about them
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X