painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting

I am doing the lanterns on the cover of this month's magazine. Wow, they are sure pretty. However, painting them is a bear! I have about 8 of them cut out and wondered if I can dip them? Or maybe spray paint? Getting into all those tiny little corners is sure time-consuming. I'm using black acrylic paint right now.

I picked up a hobby airbrush that will let me paint with acrylics, that speeds things up a little.
    I think dipping may cause runs because the acrylic is fairly thick.
    You could experiment and try thining thr paint a little. Then dip twice.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

How cool is that. I am blessed. an rubbing elbows with a selebraty now. I know spelling. your going to do great. don't worry. can't wait for my next issue. your friend Evie

Comment

Ack, I misled you, Evie, I'm not designing for next month's issue, I'm making Lora Irish's lanterns from the last issue. I do have a few designs I've been working on, but nothing magazine-worthy yet!

Comment

whoops. not only can't spell , but can't read eather. lol. still have to go look. thanks magpie. sorry. but i still think i am rubbing elbows with a sulebraty. lol. your friend evie

Comment

I'm nearly a celebrity, I once met Dolly Parton's hairdresser's sister!

Comment

Go for it!

Magpie,

I don't see why spay paint wouldn't work.

A lot of people here spray their varnish, laquer or shellac.
              Paint is just the same difference.

And you'll probably end up with a smoother finish to boot

Enjoy,
              Marcel
              http://marleb.com
              DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie
                I'm nearly a celebrity, I once met Dolly Parton's hairdresser's sister!
                LOL. now we are in for it. looks like a great pattern to me. Dolly Parton's , hairdresser's sister's son's girl friend's mother's boyfriends's barbor's neibor.
                whuuuuuuu. I'll buy it. Magpie. can i get the hair from the boyfriend's barbor's neibor, to , make sacks out of to haing in my neibors gardon.
                your so funny my friend. and you can scroll too. your friend Evie ps i know. confuesd huh. just kidding

Comment

Sorry, I mailed all the hair to Neal to put around his garden /cackle

Hey, I forgot, I AM a celebrity. Too bad people only recognize me from one angle...There was a bad wreck on the interstate one morning, and I'll make a long story short--I was wearing the old-style white nursing uniforms and bent over putting on neck braces on bunches of people when the newspaper guys arrived. The next day, the front--and I mean the WHOLE front, of the newspaper was a picture of my big white butt all across the front page. All day long people were asking me, "Hey, was that your butt on the front page? I thought that was you!" So if you need to recognize me from my newspaper appearance, I'll be glad to moon ya.

Marcel, I'm gonna try that too There must be a faster way to do this, I know.

Comment

According to a note on our local woodworkers club forum Mac Simmons will have an article in the next SSW on ebonizing wood. http://www.liwoodworkers.org/ while there check out some of the members gallery items.

I like to spray my finish but it will be interesting to see what this ebonizing business is all about.
                    Rolf
                    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Magpie,
                      So that was you! Perhaps we should call you Fanny!
                      About the lanterns - I have not done them, but my puzzles do very well dipped into dye or stain. I just use a foil pan of the right size, and if I don't have enough dye or stain to completely dunk them, I use a big tweezer-like thing to pick them up and turn them over. Do it easy, or you will get stain or dye everywhere (do you have to ask how I know that?) Drain the pieces on a rack with very little touching them - like a rack made of nails sticking up through a board - so just the nail points touch your pieces (this would look like those things that magicians lie down on, but that wouldn't be advised)
                      I would think that thinned down acrylic would work the same, too. And if you pour it into a jar that you can seal, you could use it again and again... (I hate to waste anything!) I go over them after they dry a bit, breaking any bubbles or bits in the corners with a pin - you might have to do that, too, but there won't be very many.
                      I hope this helps, andt hat they come out super.
                      Sandy

Comment

That sounds great. Gill did some experiments using tea to increase the tannin content in wood. This allowed her to ebonize some wood.
                        I have a project lined up in the fall of a 5 foot intarsia of Charlie Chaplin that I want to do in maple, then ebonize the segments in different shades.
                        I look forward to any info on ebonzing.
                        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

I love Charlie Chaplin. I can't wait to see that!

We're taking all the furniture out of the living room to make room for more tools, hehe, so I'll try dipping them on my next days off. Thanks for all the advice! You guys are the greatest. I was just telling my son I might as well sign all my stuff "Carl" because I'd never have gotten anywhere without him

Comment

Just put the scrollsaw on the coffee table and work around what you have
                            Carl is a good signature... I prefer СαяL though

Thanks СαяL
                            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

you can ebonoze your coffee table...just fill the tub with vinegar, steel wool and old nails!!!! What a great idea! I wonder how that would go over here at home! Dale
                              Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X