Finishing room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing room

so what do you all use for a finishing room. how do you spray or brush your finising on.your friend Evie

Don't have a finishing room. Do as much as I can in the shed but also do quite a bit of spraying on the back patio. It's a good space when its not windy. I keep my oil mix in a screw top jar which has a brush handle pushed through a hole in the lid. This way no matter whether I want to brush a large or small piece it is all ready to go and no clean up afterwards as the brush goes back in the jar. the handle is sealed into the lid so there is no hardening of the oil between brushings.
    Cheers. Teresa .

Comment

Turn on the furnace and blow all the dust to the livingroom, that way the shop is free of dust!

I don't have a finishing room but I wish I did. I prefer rub on finishes
      I bet a large box with a lid would be beneficial, maybe with a clear dust curtain on the front.

The main thing is to reduce or eliminate dust. It is way more fun to finish something right thr first time around!
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Guess you don't do the dusting in the house Carl! Lol
        Cheers. Teresa .

Comment

Right now,

I'm using the box my DeWalt came in

I cut a slot in the top in which I inserted 2 furnace filters 1 tight pleated one behind a looser fibered one .
          This catches the overspray that is sucked by the old bathroom vent I put in the back of the box (cut out a square hole for it, and used wire to make it hold)

It probably is just a bit too powerful, if anything, so I'm thinking of cannibalizing an old kitchen hut I have lying around instead. But I'm waiting on that as I'm in the process of trying to renegotiate my mortgage in order to build a 2 garage door workshop, I mean garage.
          We will see if this dream comes through or not. If it does, I may try to sneak in a little section for finishing. We'll see what the future reserves, as no definite plans are made at this time.

Regards,
          Marcel
          http://marleb.com
          DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Teresa thats a good idea. a brush in the oil can or bottale. but how did you seal the brush. does it come that way? did you make it.? how did you seal it.?I'll have to ponder on that one. good idea.

Marcel. a bathroom vent. mmmmmmmmmmm now thats a idea. they are cheap , and you could put it on the top of the box. mmmm good idea again. one thing. just to keep the laquier from sticking up the vent. did you say to put a filter in front of it. or first . or what. I don't understand. good idea. now this is something i wont to try. can you tell me just how you did this again in babby langwedg. hahah I know can't spell. your freind Evie

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianScroller
              Turn on the furnace and blow all the dust to the livingroom, that way the shop is free of dust!

I don't have a finishing room but I wish I did. I prefer rub on finishes
              I bet a large box with a lid would be beneficial, maybe with a clear dust curtain on the front.

The main thing is to reduce or eliminate dust. It is way more fun to finish something right thr first time around!
              Carl . I really need to talk to your wife. HA HA HA hee hee. If I was your sweet wife. we would have some go around. and I thought I had it bad. honey could you please wipe you feet. HAAAAAAA. bet your kidding hua. your friend Evie

Comment

Evie, my wife is awesome!
                I do help with the cooking and cleaning, and no one tells me how to do the laundry!. I don't fold clothes though.

My shop is in the basement of our townhouse. It is 12 x 20 and has no windows, but I painted a mural on one wall so I dont feel so closed in.
                I don't do a lot of sanding. Just a little before I start my projects, very little after.

I am thinking of doing a BIG intarsia though so I may need to sand outside.
                I have been asked if I could do a 5 foot tall Charlie Chaplin. So I drew up the pattern and now I have to find the wood. But I think outside would be a good place to sand
                CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Carl . I realy need to talk to your wife now. missis carl , can I barrow your hubby. sonds like a gim. he could teach my hubby how to cook and wash cloths. Dam----- where did she find you my freind. and you can scroll too. your a gim. love ya my freind. your freind Evei

Comment

Marcel, Just one question about the bathroom fan. Are you sure that it doesn't spark when you turn it on? Many of the things we finish with are explosive. Anyone else have info on the type of fans that don't spark when you flip the switch?

Harris

Comment

I'm thinking of getting a collapsable PVC greenhouse like this or like this for finishing. I'd fix the rear wall in position against the wall of my workshop and assemble the front wall so that I could pull it out when I needed to use it. Then I could just push it all back flat against the wall when I'd done with it. I'm not worried about the build up of paint fumes because I rarely use anything other than acrylic for finishing.

I'm not sure if it would work - what does everyone else think?

Gill
                      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

[QUOTE=minowevie]Teresa thats a good idea. a brush in the oil can or bottale. but how did you seal the brush. does it come that way? did you make it.? how did you seal it.?I'll have to ponder on that one. good idea.

Evie, my husband made it. Just make a hole in the jars metal lid big enough to fit the brush handle through. He seals around the top with 5minute araldite, I presume you have access to that. As I say it's just great always having it handy and not ever having to clean the brush. We have one jar wth Tung Oil, one with Sanding Sealer and another with our brew which is equal parts of boiled linseed, walnut oil and oil base polyurethane (satin finish).
                        Cheers. Teresa .

Comment

[QUOTE=Little flower]
                          Originally posted by minowevie
                          Teresa thats a good idea. a brush in the oil can or bottale. but how did you seal the brush. does it come that way? did you make it.? how did you seal it.?I'll have to ponder on that one. good idea.

Evie, my husband made it. Just make a hole in the jars metal lid big enough to fit the brush handle through. He seals around the top with 5minute araldite, I presume you have access to that. As I say it's just great always having it handy and not ever having to clean the brush. We have one jar wth Tung Oil, one with Sanding Sealer and another with our brew which is equal parts of boiled linseed, walnut oil and oil base polyurethane (satin finish).
                          Ok Tereasa. got all that. BUT. what is sanding sealer. boy would I like to know what that is,. sounds like something I could use. thanks. never herd of that one. And what does that do. so much to learn. your friend Evie

Comment

[QUOTE=minowevie]
                            Originally posted by Little flower

Ok Tereasa. got all that. BUT. what is sanding sealer. boy would I like to know what that is,. sounds like something I could use. thanks. never herd of that one. And what does that do. so much to learn. your friend Evie

Evie if you do a google search you will find several sites with the info. Basically it was developed originally for smoothing out particle board. has a suspended chalk which fills up the gaps. Using it as a sealer on MDF gives a beautiful smoothe surface. But you can uses it as on any wood as a first stage sealer before your finishing oil. Just brush on, leave to dry naturally or with a hair dryer and sand.
                            Cheers. Teresa .

Comment

Teresa I will have to try that. thank you , always wonting to learn new things. I have heard , that ca glue does the same thing. am i right . mmmmm don't know. we use it on wood turning to smooth the wood. making a sill so to speek. like in spolted wood making it even for turning. woops thats not scrolling huh. OH well we scroll spalted wood too. thanks , your friend Evie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X