Acrylic vs Oil Paints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acrylic vs Oil Paints

I'm doing the Easter rabbits from this month's issue and I wondered if somebody would mind giving the the pros and cons of these 2 kinds of paints. I use acrylic paints a lot for inside stuff but have not used the exterior latex type of paint before. A friend of mine said, "I wouldn't use nothing but oil paint!" but when pressed he had no reason except, "That's what we always used."

On a side note, I have now used quite a bit of the Tried and True Danish Oil, and I can highly recommend it for you chemical-sensitive people. It works well and hardly smells at all. I love it!

Formulations of paints have improved drastically over the past 20 years.
    There was a time when latex paints were chalky and not very resistant to scrubbing. Oil paints seemed to have a more durable finish.

Today's latex and acrylic paints are now just as durable for average users, I would not hesitate using an exterior latex or acrylic on that project.

I prefer the soap and water clean up on these products. They are a little easier on the environment.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Mag- I use to use laytex house paint when I was doing yard art ..just as you do with acrylic it mixes well with any other laytex -drys fast- is clean up with soap and water ,easy to breath- and withstands weather beautifully--oil is slow drying -is bad on the lungs has to be cleaned up with flamable cleaners- bad odor , doesn't mix as well but will mix . I have some laytex that is 10 years old that is still fresh and oil painy drys up long before the paint is used. air and oil paint tend to make the top of the paint set.
      need any more ?
      Sharon

Comment

Lol I think we have a winner!! Thanks a lot

Comment

Acrylic Paint

If you use acrylics I recommend using several wash coats thinned down with water instead of one heavy coat. You can put as many coats on as you like but just make sure the last coat is dry. You'll be surprised at the final finish obtained with several wash coats as opposed to a single heavy coat.
          If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

I was indeed surprised about the thinned-down paint; thanks for the great tip

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
              Reply to Farmers market "survey"
              by will8989
              The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
              Yesterday, 11:10 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Farmers market
              by will8989
              Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
              Yesterday, 10:31 PM
            • tgiro01
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by tgiro01
              Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
              Yesterday, 09:38 PM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by Linda In Phoenix
              It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
              Yesterday, 06:47 PM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to Plastic puzzle
              by Linda In Phoenix
              Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
              Yesterday, 06:38 PM
            Working...
            X