Pre-treating Scroll work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-treating Scroll work

Hello; Would there be any advantage to pre-treating wood used for scrolling before cutting? I am talking about thin wood used for ornaments and suncatchers and the like. The medium would be an oil finish. Might this interfear with scrolling or would it help? Never tried this, has anybody ever done this? Just an idea.Thanks. Bob
    Be the good,
    you want to see in the world...

I don't think it would hurt
    I would use a backer board when scrolling to eliminate tear out and feathering.
    I have cut prefinished flooring before and I have to admit, it saves a lot of work in the end. Same with a prefinished wood panel.

You may have stumbled upon one of the eureka moments!
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

One of the side

Chances are that you will have to sand the tear outs on the "Under side". If you sand, you will have to refinish. I would use a backer and would use a reverse tooth blade.

I am not sure that you will save time considering you might have to remove the finish on the back side in order to remove the tear outs then re-finish again...Another point is if you scratch it, it will show unless you sand again to strip out the finish and re-finish again.

I would keep the finishing for the end as a reward...

Comment

but your frets will be finishless.
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

...It never hurts to ask...and come up with another idea. Bob
          Be the good,
          you want to see in the world...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
            Reply to My computer issues.
            by Linda In Phoenix
            I upgraded back in early winter. I got one with both a solid state as well as hard drive. I couldn't move over my Office 2010 because I'd bought it as a download (which was still functioning just fine for what I used it for) and I never switched it to subscription because of the cost. The old download...
            Today, 12:39 PM
          • Rolf
            New turning tools
            by Rolf
            I just picked up a couple of new heavy handled bowl gauges. 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch from two friends that have tool supply businesses.
            Our next Scroll saw club challenge will be segmented scroll saw bowls. I don't sand my bowls, too time consuming, so I will be turning them after glue up.
            Today, 08:04 AM
          • Rolf
            by Rolf
            One problem with upgrading was that many of the programs I use are now subscription based. That really frosts my butt I finally accepted the fact that I normally renew my software frequently anyway the cost difference is negligible.

I did not go with a solid state drive, probably...
            Today, 07:58 AM
          • will8989
            by will8989
            Actually, I think mine is more than 10 years old. And what brand would that be? Remember who you’re talking to here about computers.
            Today, 07:49 AM
          • NC Scroller
            by NC Scroller
            If you buy a new computer you want to get a solid state hard drive. No moving parts to break or wear out....
            Today, 07:43 AM
          Working...
          X