a card box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a card box

Someone just gave me an old cutlery box with a very scratched up finish.
    I am going to take the linings out of the box and put in some dividers for my sons Magic cards.

I am looking for suggestions on refinishing.
    The box has solid mahogany sides, I am not sure of the top, it may be mahogany ply.
    I was thinking of putting the Magic logo on it somehow. I really dont want to make pierced cuts.
    I dont mind an inlay, or maybe an applique, or even pyrography, although I like I said the top may contain veneers.

Any suggestions?
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Carl,
    As far as the refinishing side, I'd suggest trying Formby's Refinisher and/or stripper. It'll take down the finish without the wood. Depending on how deep the scratches are, this may be all you need. As far as the top, if it is veneers, I'd go with the applique. Otherwise you may have to contend with chip out (especially if they're very thin veneers).

My 2 cents (1.67 cents Canadian) worth.

Kevin
    Kevin
    Scrollsaw Patterns Online
    Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Thanks Kevin
      hey the money is getting closer. 1.76 cents this morning

I remember back in the 70's the Canadian dollar had edged over the US dollar, But boy have we been paying for it ever since!

One thing that does drive me nuts is the pricing of magazines.
      I know it is probably to keep the magazine industries in both countries balanced but it is a pet peeve. sometimes the difference is over 20%.

And I guess softwood is a toboo topic
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

I made some Magic card boxes by taking the card wrappers and decoupaging them all over the top, which my son loved. I also recently saw a card box with a stained glass inset in the top, which I'm dying to try

Comment

Carl -- now listen up and I think you and your son will be happy with the results. get your sandpaper out of the drawer and sand the finish and get those scratches out or at least reduced- depending on how deep they are. Leave on the old finish as this is like a antique technicque I'v used a lot and always had good results. But sand it down as much as possible to just leave the grain filled..
          Now pick out a nice pattern that goes with magic -- say like a wizard --
          and pyrography it on the top -- maybe a open spanded hand of cards on the side or a magic wand -- even a crysstal ball or a gypsy fortune teller -- just something to keep it magic.
          The thin veneer on top would be perfect for this and the wood grain will stand out also.
          Now give it a little highlight with oil pencils --just the highlights and blend it into the wood with a Q tip or blender if you have one. I use to do this on my pyrogrsaphy andd it is beautiful.
          Finally give it a coat of clear satin polyuratine -
          and don't forget to sign it..

Then take a picture and send it to me so I can pat you on the back.
          If you are going to do this soon and don't have a wizard pattern I have one on my files- let me know and I will e mail it to you . but anything you decide would work -- but since you asked I had to add my nickels worth..
          Sharon

Comment

I can't help, Carl...if it was Star Wars CCG, I could help <grin>

how about a Warhammer 40K box; I can also help with that!

Bob
            www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I just saw a magazine on the shelf. Don't worry Bob I didn't buy it
              They used water colour pencil crayons, or as you say in the US water color pencil crayons.
              I would think I would have to use a non water based finish to cover them.
              I may try all those suggestions, when I get time.
              CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Carl -- The oil pencils are just that -- made with oil just like oil paint- I use to get them and used them a lot but havent lately-- They are made by Walnut Hallow in the section with their wood burning stuff in the craft isle.. heck they may not make them any more but you just use the pencils like a crayon kind off and then rub with something warm and smooth- blends beautifully but is yet very easy to work with .
                Sharon

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                  Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                  by will8989
                  The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                  Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Farmers market
                  by will8989
                  Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                  Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                • tgiro01
                  Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                  by tgiro01
                  Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                  Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                  Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to Plastic puzzle
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                  Yesterday, 06:38 PM
                Working...
                X