Antler Carvers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antler Carvers....

??? I am still working on the antler but was wondering how the antler may be finished. It is very weathered (white) and I would like to restore a natural brown color to it when finished. Can it simply be stained or do I need to consult a taxidermist for a special product? Pam

Re: Antler Carvers....

Potassium permanganate will darken bone and antlers. I have no clue where you could get any, but a taxidermist would probably know. Failing that, try your pharmacist.

Comment

I am pretty sure potassium permanganate purple! wouldn't that mess up the antlers?? I had to put some in a water system, a crackpot plumber said the system needed! Came out purple!!

Comment

You don't say, or I don't remember, whether your using real antler or a cast one. I have a Tom Wolfe book where he used regular stain on a cast antler and it comes out perfectly. Whether it would work on real antler, can't say right at the moment. Will go out in the shop and give it a try in a bit and let you know.

Comment

I have a friend who bleached out an antler mount (oops) and re-colored it with brown and cordovan shoe polish. It looks great!

Al

Comment

Here I am back from the shop ... tried minwax oil based and water based stains ... didn't take or if it did very little xxx tried two applications about 20 minutes apart ... sooo, based on that I would try something else on deer antlers.

Comment

Yep, Potassium Permanganate is very purple. However, I was told by a knifemaker that a lot of 'antler' handles are just jigged shin bones that have been soaked in Potassium Permanganate. Can't vouch for the truth in his comment. I tried using wood stain on bleached antlers too. Same results.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                Reply to My beauties
                by will8989
                He puts biscuts between the long pieces, is that what you meant? He has stainless screws in the lips then puts the plugs on top of that. Scott, cutting one doesn’t take long. It’s the removing of the tiny drill hole, spraying each piece with distilled water, letting dry, sanding and sometimes flap...
                Yesterday, 10:55 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to Cutting guide for straight cut on a scroolsaw
                by Rolf
                Like Bob said clamp a straight edge to the table and adjust it to compensate for the blade drift. There are some blades that have no or very little drift. Like the Olson PGT series it also seems to me that the Pegas MGT 3 or larger cut very straight....
                Yesterday, 07:54 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to My beauties
                by Rolf
                I now you do beautiful work but I have to say your attention to details on these baskets is impressive. soft smooth edges, no visible glue squeeze out. And of course the cutting boards are beautiful. I am guessing that Bruce cut a spline in the end of the board and then dowels. I have not seen that...
                Yesterday, 07:49 AM
              • NC Scroller
                Reply to My beauties
                by NC Scroller
                You are one busy lady. About how long does it take to cut one?
                Yesterday, 05:51 AM
              • NC Scroller
                Reply to Hegner Multimax-18 for sale Tucson
                by NC Scroller
                Good luck.
                Yesterday, 05:47 AM
              Working...
              X