Antler Carvers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antler Carvers....

??? I am still working on the antler but was wondering how the antler may be finished. It is very weathered (white) and I would like to restore a natural brown color to it when finished. Can it simply be stained or do I need to consult a taxidermist for a special product? Pam

Re: Antler Carvers....

Potassium permanganate will darken bone and antlers. I have no clue where you could get any, but a taxidermist would probably know. Failing that, try your pharmacist.

Comment

I am pretty sure potassium permanganate purple! wouldn't that mess up the antlers?? I had to put some in a water system, a crackpot plumber said the system needed! Came out purple!!

Comment

You don't say, or I don't remember, whether your using real antler or a cast one. I have a Tom Wolfe book where he used regular stain on a cast antler and it comes out perfectly. Whether it would work on real antler, can't say right at the moment. Will go out in the shop and give it a try in a bit and let you know.

Comment

I have a friend who bleached out an antler mount (oops) and re-colored it with brown and cordovan shoe polish. It looks great!

Al

Comment

Here I am back from the shop ... tried minwax oil based and water based stains ... didn't take or if it did very little xxx tried two applications about 20 minutes apart ... sooo, based on that I would try something else on deer antlers.

Comment

Yep, Potassium Permanganate is very purple. However, I was told by a knifemaker that a lot of 'antler' handles are just jigged shin bones that have been soaked in Potassium Permanganate. Can't vouch for the truth in his comment. I tried using wood stain on bleached antlers too. Same results.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                Reply to Communion cross
                by cwmagee
                That is beautiful.

I am chaffing at the bit to get back to the scroll saw, Unfortunately the urban renewal project "Redoing the deck" has taken over all of my time.
                Yesterday, 09:25 PM
              • daveswoodworking
                Comment on 2020 Ornament Exchange
                by daveswoodworking
                Yes I’ll send you the list of names and address to sent to after after the dead line
                Thank you for join the exchange
                Yesterday, 09:24 PM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to Communion cross
                by Linda In Phoenix
                Excellent contrast not only in wood choices (LOVE the bocote), but also 90 degree corners on the bocote and radius corners on the maple. Very nice!
                Yesterday, 08:46 PM
              • vgraf
                Reply to 2020 Ornament Exchange
                by vgraf
                I signed up four four, Will you be sending the list of where to send my ornaments?
                Yesterday, 08:19 PM
              • Trackman
                Reply to Winter issue
                by Trackman
                Got mine in East Central Indiana. Carole has a nice bowl idea an couple of tool reviews
                Yesterday, 07:44 PM
              Working...
              X