Antler Carvers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antler Carvers....

??? I am still working on the antler but was wondering how the antler may be finished. It is very weathered (white) and I would like to restore a natural brown color to it when finished. Can it simply be stained or do I need to consult a taxidermist for a special product? Pam

Re: Antler Carvers....

Potassium permanganate will darken bone and antlers. I have no clue where you could get any, but a taxidermist would probably know. Failing that, try your pharmacist.

Comment

I am pretty sure potassium permanganate purple! wouldn't that mess up the antlers?? I had to put some in a water system, a crackpot plumber said the system needed! Came out purple!!

Comment

You don't say, or I don't remember, whether your using real antler or a cast one. I have a Tom Wolfe book where he used regular stain on a cast antler and it comes out perfectly. Whether it would work on real antler, can't say right at the moment. Will go out in the shop and give it a try in a bit and let you know.

Comment

I have a friend who bleached out an antler mount (oops) and re-colored it with brown and cordovan shoe polish. It looks great!

Al

Comment

Here I am back from the shop ... tried minwax oil based and water based stains ... didn't take or if it did very little xxx tried two applications about 20 minutes apart ... sooo, based on that I would try something else on deer antlers.

Comment

Yep, Potassium Permanganate is very purple. However, I was told by a knifemaker that a lot of 'antler' handles are just jigged shin bones that have been soaked in Potassium Permanganate. Can't vouch for the truth in his comment. I tried using wood stain on bleached antlers too. Same results.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                Reply to Work in Progress. What is with FOX publishing?
                by NC Scroller
                I often resize just to fit the size of the wood I have on hand. I agree this is a no win situation because of the various software, hardware differences plus the skill level of us, the end users. Even providing the patterns in a digitized format will no fix this because of the reasons I already mentioned....
                Today, 09:52 AM
              • Rolf
                by Rolf
                John your original post is a valid question. It is a simple thing to put in the original scale assuming that it was on the original drawing. As a minimum the size of the material required can be stated, although that has been a confusion for folks that have built the clock projects. I field a lot of...
                Today, 09:22 AM
              • Quartz43
                by Quartz43
                Maybe nothing has changed ? But is there anything that can be done to make it easier. The very large projects are difficult to copy over several pages and put together properly. I believe in making improvements and not preserving the status quo.

I enjoy the challenge of cutting a project...
                Yesterday, 08:48 PM
              • keystonecop
                by keystonecop
                This is not a problem with the magazine for my issue.. It is a problem with the book having resized the drawings without giving the actual size.

I do again apologize for my post.. I cannot use the right words to explain it.. so maybe someone should just remove the post....
                Yesterday, 07:29 PM
              • markdavd
                by markdavd
                Reading these replies, I am still trying to figure out what the problem really is. I haven't noticed changes in how they publish recently and I don't think I ever had trouble making copies of of the patterns I want to cut.

How did you copy the patterns 10 years ago? What has changed?...
                Yesterday, 06:43 PM
              Working...
              X