finishing small sections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finishing small sections

ok i have a business card holder that i made for my 1st project. i has a base that i rounded over with my router and cut a slot out of it to hold my cards.

i then put a dowel rod in it vetical and it attaches to the oval penn state logo that i scrolled. i cut out the white part of the logo. the problem i am running into i painting the piece. it is made out of 3/4 pine and the parts that i can't get to easily is between the cuts i made(the thickness part of the wood. so i am curious for some easier solutions.
    thanks

I am not exactly sure of the piece but I would maybe dip the piece first and blow the excess paint out of the fine cracks. Once it is dry I would sand the surfaces to bare wood, then you can finish the piece any way you like. Maybe with a roller.
    The surface sanding would elliminate any build up on the edges.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

When you say painting do you mean as in to give it color- like green or red or such or stain or finish? -I have a welcome sign that is covered in little leaves and birds and blooms that seems to be very popular ( I am making my 9 th sign since Christmas ) and I paint the leaves- birds- and lettering with acrylic paint then I clear coat it and then mount it-- all of the painting is done on the top only because it is a very intricate piece- it looks very nice and they are selling as fast as I can make them ..these last 3 are already sold before I got the last delivered- can't beat that but I am getting tird of cutting the same thing over and over.. and I do stack cut
      Sharon

Comment

yeah its color paint, i am painting it blue just like their logo. i purchased small craft brushes today and they work fine but still hard to get in the small areas. i don't think i can dip it.

i thought about just painting the front and the back but don't think it would look right. thanks for the input

Comment

spitfire, try putting the paint over the area you want the paint. Flatten the end of a drinking straw, place that end of the straw over the paint and blow it into the narrow part that you want painted. Mick
          Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Spitfire,
            If you thin your paint quite a bit, dipping should give you enough color in the crevices, and then you can either paint or sand the surface. If I understand what you are doing, the whole thing is blue - right? Or is the problem that you need to make it several colors? Need more info, need more info...
            Sandy

Comment

this peice is only one color, i managed to get it painted but took a while. maybe next time i will try the straw or thin the paint t hen dip it the paint the main surface.

thanks for the help

Comment

How about an airbrush? I have used mine to access areas that I could not get by a brush. I used to own a taxidermy shop for 6 years and used my airbrush alot in touchup and doing fish. My daughter is learning to use an airbrush on her woodworking projects and is having a blast.
                "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

Great idea core-eagle. Sometimes I forget about the airbrush, I really need to get my shop organized
                  I have a couple of small hobbyist airbrushes, one is an Aztec from testor, It works pretty good. I also picked up a an automotive touch up gun from a surplus store for 18 dollars. not too much of an investment.

I will have to experiment with the settings for waterborne finishes. I dislike using solvents.
                  CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                  "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                  Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X