Staining Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staining Question

I am currently working on a large Blanket Box and I am trying to add strips to the lid with stain. I am currently using a Golden Oak Gel Stain and have done two coats with the area I wanted stripped taped off. It did not appear to darken with the second coat. What I was wondering is can you use a different color stain over the top of what I already have down? I was thinking of using a Walnut to get the looking of striping that I was hoping to get. Any ideas?

You can use a darker stain for stripping but have to warn you it is possible it will bleed into the surrounding areas and not look sharp and crisp. You might want to think about an oil base paint and even that is no guarantee not to do the same but you would have a better chance. Whatever you decide I would try either method on some scraps first to see if it bleeds through. When working the scraps make sure you do the exact same things you would do with the good piece so you know the exact results. Good luck
    John T.

Comment

Dallas,

When I want to stain a given area and don't want the surrounding areas to get stain/paint on em...I use good ol' vaseline. It won't soak into the wood and wipes right off with no residue once the finished area is dry. I never have bleed through like I do sometimes with tape.

just a suggestion...
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jimern
        Reply to Farmers market "survey"
        by Jimern
        The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
        Today, 06:29 AM
      • will8989
        Reply to Farmers market "survey"
        by will8989
        The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
        Yesterday, 11:10 PM
      • will8989
        Reply to Farmers market
        by will8989
        Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
        Yesterday, 10:31 PM
      • tgiro01
        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
        by tgiro01
        Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
        Yesterday, 09:38 PM
      • Linda In Phoenix
        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
        by Linda In Phoenix
        It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
        Yesterday, 06:47 PM
      Working...
      X