finishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finishing

I am cutting John Nelsons Victorian Hot Plate from the last issue. I am unsure about what finish to use that will withstand the heat of hot dishes. Any suggestions? I am using 3/4" Santos Mahogany. The hardest Mahogany that I have run across.
    Last edited by minker; 11-02-2005, 08:11 PM.

For hot plates if that is truely what it is going to used for you can either add a BLO to highlight the grain and add a little color or I like to use two coats of Danish oil. The Danish oil or Tung oil has a bit of poly in it but when cured and buffed it will have no ill effect on the finish. It will also give a little protection. You should buff the piece even if you used BLO to give it a burnished feel. You do not want to use a poly or lacquer for the heat will cause problems. Like to see when done maybe you can post a photo. This is my recomendations.
    John T.

Comment

The BLO or Boiled Linseed Oil will take a long time to harden, and so will pure tung oil. A tung-oil-based finish like "Danish Oil" or Watco would get my vote.

Comment

Hey, I've got sort of the same question. I'm going to do that Hot Plate as well, but I'm going to use Corian. Our scroll saw club had some nice chunks to give away, and I got a dark piece. I've noticed it has some kind of finish on it as well.... or did they just buff the snot out of it to get it that shiney?

Comment

It was polished. That is alot of cutouts for a corian piece Good luck and post a photo.
          John T.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X