Maple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple

What would be a durable finish for maple that would preserve its color? (It's for an occassional table rather than a piece of scrollwork .) I've got tung oil, Danish oil and boiled linseed oil to hand.

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

All 3 will put a yellow tint to it. None of the mention is a top coat and will provide no protection at all. You do not mention clear coating it for the actual protection. You can use any of the 3 mentioned and top coat with a poly or a lacquer. For a non yellow look a clear shellac with a water base poly or waterbase lacquer.
    John T.

Comment

Originally posted by Gill
      What would be a durable finish for maple that would preserve its color? (It's for an occassional table rather than a piece of scrollwork .) I've got tung oil, Danish oil and boiled linseed oil to hand.

Gill
      A water base shellac or anything water base would do best. I have found that if you want to keep the grain and the white-ish look of maple is to stain it white...very light coat. I use Winter White water base, and then I sealed the piece with a Oil based varnish. Worked out great. You might may also want to try a white-wash type treatment.

Experiment on some scrap.... whatever you decide to try.

Comment

Water base shellac
        A water base shellac or anything water base
        New one on me. Never heard of shellac thinned with anything but methyl hydrate. Interesting. Got list of suppliers and some specs ?
        Fred

Comment

oaklysawyer,

My bad, I typed faster than I could think, I did mean 'lacquer.' Thanks for catching that.

Comment

Many thanks for the advice, guys - water based lacquer seems to be quite readily available so I think I'll be going down that route.

It's a good job I asked before using an oil!

Gill
            There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
            (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Just a point of info to clarify some of the info given. If you are going to whitewash with a stain wheather it is waterbase or not here I would not use waterbase but if you do as with any undercoat it will raise the grain and needs a lite sanding and make sure all dust is removed before top coating. As far as shellac goes do not use a waxed shellac you want a dewaxed shellac with water base lacquer or poly. That is important!!!! I would recomend Zinsser Bulls Eye Seal Coat. Best stuff on the market. Cleans up with denatured alcohol and is not too bad oder wise. Then if top coating with a water base lacquer sand litely before top coating and no need to sand between coats with lacquer. I like to finish sand with micro-mesh 12000 to give a nice feel and smoothe look.
              John T.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                by will8989
                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                Today, 12:20 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                by Linda In Phoenix
                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                by will8989
                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                Yesterday, 10:32 AM
              • Sandy Oaks
                by Sandy Oaks
                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                Yesterday, 09:46 AM
              • NC Scroller
                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                by NC Scroller
                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                Yesterday, 07:42 AM
              Working...
              X