trivet finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trivet finish

I am thinking of doing some trivets as Christmas presents for some of the fam. What I'm wondering is what is the best type of finish to use on them. Cut from typical wood nothing exotic.

SparHawk:

please read the thread I started:
    http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/t5622.html (hope this is the correct one.)

because of the possible high heat exposure from a casserole to acid food and so forth:
    worst - Bee's wax and traditional lacquer (deft)
    Best - Pre-Cat. Lacquer (very advanced level of finish; $$$; talk to JTtheClockMan)

middle of the road- BLO, several coats; Min-Wax satin finish.

But I went and looked at about 5 or 6 well used wooden trivets, and all had darkened brown spots where the finish was damaged by the hot foods. Damage to finish looked natural and did not distract, gave items a 'I am used in a home' look as opposed to 'on display at a house'. I decided that BLO was good enough.

Phil

Comment

Thanks Phil. I'd been mulling the idea for a while in my mind but was clueless as to finish for something like that. Much obliged.

Matt

Comment

Matt,
        I usually use Watco natural color- just dip the trivet into a foil pan of the stuff, turn it over to coat all the sides, then drain it on a piece of hardware cloth over paper towels. (Watch out about disposing of those towels!) I pour the Watco back into the can after use - as long as no cruddies get into it.
        I think Watco is probably (someone will surely correct me if necessary) basicly boiled linseed oil with some dryers or hardeners added (and, on the colored sorts, some sort of pigment).
        Trivets will eventually show some discoloration, but, as Phil said, that is just the "patina of use".
        I hope your trivets come out well.
        Sandy

Comment

Thanks Sandy. I appreciate the info. Making something that's to be used and under such harsh conditions had me stumped as to what I should use.

Comment

Just a brief background on the oil finishes discussed so far. Watco oil is essentially BLO with additional/different additives added. BLO really isn't boiled, it just acts that way due to the dryers etc. that have been added to make it dry more quickly. Raw linseed oil is made from flax seeds. It will dry, but takes a long long time. All should work well . One that I have not tried on trivets, but have used on cutting boards, is mineral oil. I have used it on carvings and as stated earlier cutting boards. It does not darken the wood as much, does not really dry (but soaks in enough to appear so), and is food grade. The only caveat is, in large doses is a laxative (in fact thats the usual place to find it, in the laxitive section of your local WalMart or whatever store).

Comment

I made some last year after seeing them in a magazine. They recommended using Tung Oil and I did. Haven't had a problem yet!
              Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                by will8989
                Beautiful!...
                Today, 09:19 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Big week here
                by will8989
                Bruce said he felt like he needed to look for a job when he first retired. That lasted for about a month and he hasn’t looked back since. I had a friend whose company gave him a 50th party. At the party he told them he was retiring in 2 weeks! Trust us, you will love being retired.
                Today, 09:09 PM
              • jim_mex
                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                by jim_mex
                Hi ibber - LOL!

I took the keyboard back to the store a while back and they hadn't got a replacement in stock. Since I like the look o it I think I am going to play attack it later this evening and try to sort out the problem.
                ingers crossed
                Today, 07:35 PM
              • cwmagee
                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                by cwmagee
                I think it might be a letter that one would need to use the left index finger. Perhaps you need a heavier hammer.
                Today, 05:39 PM
              • jim_mex
                Reply to New tools
                by jim_mex
                Hi Rolf - the unit I bought will also do Tig welding once you buy the optional accessories - torch, nozzles etc: - plus it will do conventional stick welding too. I doubt I'll be heading down the TIG route anytime soon, at least not for the projects I have in mind at the moment.

I did a...
                Today, 05:26 PM
              Working...
              X