Sanding between finishing coats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding between finishing coats

I have started using waterbased varathane on some of my project. I do not like the clean up of the other products.
    The only problem I see so far is the grain of the wood swells when it is applied.
    The fuzzies that are formed can be sanded off but if you sand too aggressively you end up cutting through the finish and back to the wood.
    I have found that if I "sand" with a brown paper bag it knocks the finish down without penetrating it. It works really well between the last few coats too.
    looks lite that long lost Hand Rubbed Carpathean finish from days of yore.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Carl - I do a lot of decorative painting, and the brown paper bag is what I use to sand with also! I did learn quickly tho that you don't use any of the bag that has printing on - it transfers to the wood!

Theresa
    Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Love it!
      Problem is most places use plastic bags and they don't work worth beans
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianScroller
        Love it!
        Problem is most places use plastic bags and they don't work worth beans
        Well I suppose one could hang out on the corner and wait for the school kids to pass and tussle them for their lunch bags. "Gimme yer' lunchbag kid...no keep the PBJ sandwich, I want the LUNCHBAG!" Surely you could sand away and make CNN news.
        Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

I want the PBJ too.
          Originally posted by Rivari
          Well I suppose one could hang out on the corner and wait for the school kids to pass and tussle them for their lunch bags. "Gimme yer' lunchbag kid...no keep the PBJ sandwich, I want the LUNCHBAG!" Surely you could sand away and make CNN news.
          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

LOL!!

I usually wait until the baggers at my local supermarket start bagging my items into plastic bags - then tell them I want paper instead! Or if they ask first - "Is plastic OK?" I answer "no". Then they just stare at me until I say I prefer paper.
            I'm so bad!!

T

(this doesn't apply at the big-box markets tho - there they only have the plastic. Guess this is one time living in a small town with only one food store has it's benefits.)
            Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

What? Paper bags?

Well I have never heard of anyone sanding with paper bags before You sure learn a few things on this forum. I'll give it a go. You never know I might be packing all my goods at the supermarket into the paper bags provided for mushrooms.
              Cheers. Teresa .

Comment

Back again. Tried it out and yep, it works! Whatever next
                Cheers. Teresa .

Comment

I hoard every brown paper bag I get. Works great for the final buffing too. I know a cabinet maker who using them all the time and his finish is silky smooth.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X