Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing problem, help!

Hi folks,

Well folks, the Celtic Carving that I was so proud of has a problem, and I hope someone can suggest a solution, cause I'm perplexed.

To finish sanding I applied a coat of Shellac, sanded most off but in the recess areas most remained. Then I applied the oil finish over it and wiped dry, let it soak over night and applied a second coat....but 'forgot' to wipe it dry again!

Now the piece has dried, but has a high gloss and in some recesses the oil has cured on the surface and seems almost like a varnish.

How can I fix this? I want to get to be able to apply a wax covering, which will give it a better (less glossy) look and protect it.

Any suggestions?

Bob

Re: Finishing problem, help!

Hi Bob, not sure what you can do short of removing the oil. the oil finish should have gone on the bare wood. The Shellac has sealed the wood, and won't allow the oil to penetrate. You should take care when mixing finishes, some will react to others. I would think, that a super fine steel wool, and some denatured alcohol would remove the excess oil. Let it dry ,( denatured alcohol will dry very quickly.) Then try your wax finish. I would try a small area first. Also I have put on a finish that has too much gloss, and went over it with a low gloss finish and it did the trick. Hope this helps.

Comment

this is a suggestion, 'after the fact' so to speak, but when applying an oil finish, I don't see any need to use shelac first. Shelac is a sealer and will prevent the oil frm penetrating the wood, leaving you with a 'varnish like ' finish. I'd remove the oil finish entirely first with either a good xenol or lacquer thinner solvent, but mineral spirits may work just as well (do this outside), and then try to remove all traces of the shelac with an alcohol solvent available at paint stores and some hardwares.

Once you have done that, let everything dry thoroughly and apply several light coats of the BOL, wiping between coats and buffing with a soft terry cloth. Let each coat dry for at least a day before putting another on. Don't let it puddle anywhere, or you will have that heavy varnish like build up. what you want to do is allow the oil to soak into the wood and dry around the fibers. Eventually you will have a smooth surface with a very nice patina. Try not to rush the job, you've already put too much work into it to be in a hurry!

AL

Comment

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I tried the Shellac with hopes that it would give me a better sanded finish....bring out any last fibers, but I forgot that it would also seal the wood.

The oil should come off using mineral spirits, or turpentine, and wouldn't hurt the wood any. Then a bath to remove the Shellac.. and then start over with a new oil finish.

Again, thanks....a hard won lesson, but at least the carving is fine! Just take a little longer to finish.

Bob

Comment

squbrigg if you want to 'bring the grain up' before sanding, use a small spray bottle with wood alcohol. It will raise the grain, dry fast, and leave no stains!
          My Site Missouri Ozarks

Comment

Re: Finishing problem, helped!

Well lads, it worked. Stripped down to bare wood, dried, washed and dried some more. Then a light coat of oil, wiped dry amd then a second heavier coat, also wiped dry. Looking like it is suppose to. Today we wax, or maybe tomorrow,....give the oil plenty of time to set.

Thanks for the 'save' folks, ya bailed me out for sure!

Bob

Comment

What do you recommend for the oil finish, Linseed oil, tung oil ?

If I wanted to apply some paint or color to an area of the carving, do you apply the oil finish first and then an oil paint wash? What is the order of applying the various finishes?

Thanks,

Comment

I would think to apply the oil first and then paint, the oil won't soak through the paint. You would also have to let the oil dry soak in good prior to applying paint or the paint won't adhere to the wood.
                My Site Missouri Ozarks

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                  Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                  by Rolf
                  The contacts on the keyboard main board are a screen printed silver metal the keys have small membrane switches under them, the probability of repair is slim. spilled coffee takes out the contacts almost instantly, the voice of experience,
                  Today, 08:06 AM
                • NC Scroller
                  Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                  by NC Scroller
                  Only our riend Jim....😂😂😂
                  Today, 06:24 AM
                • jim_mex
                  Reply to New tools
                  by jim_mex
                  Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                  Yesterday, 11:14 PM
                • Hobbyhorse
                  Reply to New tools
                  by Hobbyhorse
                  Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                  Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                • Hobbyhorse
                  Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                  by Hobbyhorse
                  Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                  Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                Working...
                X