Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting wax off basswood block

???
    I have two large solid blocks of basswood that I am going to chipcarve, on all sides, to make lamps. However, they have been dipped into wax for about l/4 inch around each base. I have tried scraping and sanding the wax off and it still persists. I am afraid that when I go to finish the wood, the wax will resist my toppings....... tung oil sealer, stain and then pure tung oil. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove this without damaging the wood before I start transferring my design and carving??? Many thanks for any help, I'm exasperated

Re: getting wax off basswood block

I have found that the wax on the ends of basswood tends to penetrate the wood grain. I usually just cut off 1/4' to 1/2'. You may find that the stuff sold to remove candle wax would do it but I'm not sure it would penetrate the grain unless you let it soak.

Comment

The was was applied to help reduce checking or cracking.
      The only way I know to be sure you have eliminated it would be to cut it off. Normally there will also be small cracks up to 1/2' deep even with the wax coating.
      My guess is, that your blocks will be a bit smaller if you want the wax off. :-/

Comment

To get wax out of a carpet, they reccomend laying down several layers of paper towel and going over it with a hot iron. The towels soak up the wax. I wonder if that would work?
        Indiana USA&&http://pyrogite.tripod.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X