Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting and Finishes??

Re: Painting and Finishes??

I seal my piece's that are to be painted with acrylics with TK sealer, two coats. If I seal the project with laquer/laquer thinner (50/50) or Deft, the acrylic paint doesn't stick well.

For an antique finish I use Deft and laquer thinner, 50/50, tinted with some burnt umber oil paint. You can make it as dark as you want. I used about a 1-1/2 inch long 'worm' from the tube.

I seal most of my unpainted carvings with satin finish Deft or the 50/50 Deft/laquer thinner solution mentioned above.
    The Moonraker

Comment

This may be a dumb question, but what is TK sealer and where might I find this? Thanks for your help, Moonraker!

Comment

I use Krylon clear acrylic spray; it comes in gloss, satin, and matte.

Comment

Moonraker - I use a lot of KT (not TK) Super Sealer but I haven't the faintest idea of its contents....the bottle doesn't say a word except that it's flammable brfore dry. I just know it gives a great seal before I paint with acrylics especially in the areas that I've burned heavily - like my convoluted beards. It comes in white and clear, it's very, very thin and dries super fast. You can burn before or after its application.
          It was developed especially for bird carvers. I've never seen it anywhere except MDI Woodcarvers Catalog http://www.mdiwoodcarvers.com 1-800-866-5728

Comment

It may be TK or KT or anything like that. When I get back to Wisconsin I will look at the can and let you know. I have enough trouble remembering my way back to WI let alone what I left there! I bought mine through Wisconsin Carving Supply in Racine, WI. There is another product with a very similar name. The one I use doesn't list what is in it either.

I know several carvers that use the Krylon that Rick mentioned and they are very happy with the results.

Good Luck....
            The Moonraker

Comment

I tried the KT Super Sealer once and was not impressed with the results. The odor reminded me of a home repair product (Thompson's Water Seal) so I tried that also. Got the same results, and Thompson's costs about the same for a gallon as 12 ounces of the KT. I still prefer a 50/50 mix of laquer/thinner. To each his own. :

Comment

I use a matt acrylic spray or a acrylic I brush on.Works for me.

Comment

For inside carving I go with wood waxes gives it a deep finish

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X