the beauty of the wood showing.
    What finish is recommended for butterwood? What is a good brand
    name?

Thanks,

Jim

for

Comment

Re: Finish

butternut looks good when finished with soft gloss oils like Tung oil. It won't create glare that hides the grain.

Comment

I have not, as yet, tried using tung oil as a finish so I am not familiar with it's characteristics. Is it a thin oil that soaks right into the wood or does it compare lets say to linseed oil? How about drying time?

I am wondering how it would work on bark carving. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Tung oil is a very light oil that is usually clear but I think I have seen it with a bit of stain to darken it. It is a rubbing oil that looks best on smooth surfaces. It leaves a very low gloss while bringing out the grain in wood. I usually use several coats. It will protect the wood like linseed oil and should be recoated occasionally, especially in dry climates.

Comment

Thx. Captain - Have you ever tried tinting tung oil with oil paints? I have done that with a clear Minwax stain to achieve the tint I want, but I would like to try tung oil to compare the end result.

Comment

Comment

Hi Woodpecker - Thx for the input.

Comment

Comment

I think you may want to use oil-based burnt umber rather than acrylic. The acrylic is water based and may not mix with the oil.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• planeur
                      Reply to My covid angel
                      by planeur
                      Rolf when you say taper from right to left, do you mean thinner near the body and thicker at the end of cloud as on the wing ?
                      And on each cloud touching the body ?
                      I had already sand some part , will show show soon!

Thanks

Yesterday, 09:22 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Tough Decisions
                      by will8989
                      I did that with Creative Woodworks. But when Bruce's group had their monthly meetings and swaps, somehow or other the ones I didn't buy ended up here! I keep all my holiday ones separate. But I also look at other patterns and think how I can reuse it. But sometimes that is just too much for my brain...
                      Yesterday, 12:27 PM
                    • Don in Brooklin On
                      Reply to Tough Decisions
                      by Don in Brooklin On
                      Since I refuse to subscribe till they do something about the patterns in the pull out. They even made the DVD tough to print patterns.

What I do is look at the index of the book on scrollsawer.com and if see something I might want to cut I go to Walmart and check out the book. If I like...
                      Yesterday, 11:59 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Tough Decisions
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Absolutely everyone here has made valid points. That's part of what I've liked about this group.....different view points and different ideas. And we respect the diversity. You people rock!
                      Yesterday, 11:24 AM
                    • NC Scroller
                      Reply to Tough Decisions
                      by NC Scroller
                      I too miss Bob Duncan. I do not think anyone from FC has taken over that role at least on this forum. If they have I am not sure who. Like Betty, I owe a lot to FC and this forum. If it was not for them and this forum I would have probably turned my saw into a boat anchor years ago. Oh how I looked...
                      Yesterday, 11:22 AM
                    Working...
                    X