surprise from step mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surprise from step mom

Well, my dad's been gone now for almost 10 years. I know when my stepmother was cleaning out the basement shortly after he passed, she called and said if you want his woodworking books and magazines, come get them or I'm throwing them away. (They are still in my basement, and I look thru them often).

Well, last Saturday she showed up here and said she was cleaning out the garage. She thought I might be able to use some things. Well, it turned out that there were several pieces of wood still wrapped in plastic with the name MasterCraft on them. (Truthfully, I'm not familiar with the name.) They were various sizes, widths, and lengths of Cherry, Oak, Walnut, and Aspen. And a few things I wasn't familiar with. Once again, she said take them or I'm throwing it all away. Well, needless to say it's all in my garage now. I'll have to do some serious rearraigning to make space for it all.

There was also a box full of clock movements. They were all quartz movements, some were pendulum, some with speakers, some without. I am not familiar with names on the mechanisms. I have not heard of Hermle, or Takane. But I will be doing some googling this weekend.

But, back to the boards, will it be a bad thing for those boards to be stored in my unheated garage? Also, I don't know if it will be a bad thing for them to be leaning against the wall for a while or if I should make space now to lay them flat. I can't get too carried away because we still park my wife's van in the garage due to bad weather. (Which means breaking down my DeWalt table saw and putting the lawn mower in the basement where my books and TV are).

I can't for the life of me figure out why Dad would have bought a Mastercraft package of 1/16 thick Aspen but it's nice to know it's there if I need it. I'm also glad that now I can do some projects that I skipped over because I didn't have the funds to buy those types of boards. I think it's time to start going thru all his magazines and books again.

Dan A

While I am no clock movement expert, the Hermie was a decent movemeent. I am not familiar with the other brand. I just checked Hermie website they are still available.
    cwmagee
    aka Fibber
    Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Wow, quite a haul!
      Denny
      ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Your dad may be gone from this earth but he is still with you in so many ways. And leave it to dad's to give us great stuff to work with!
        Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

When you go to wood stores, how is their wood stored? On end standing up. We, my husband, puts our long boards on end. I have a closet that I store shorter boards, 3’ or less, that I am currently working on. When he runs out of room, or I trip over boards and knock them down, he will resort to flat storing. He has lots and lots of spacers that are 3/4” x 3/4”, this is SLRA after all, he’ll store them on the floor. He puts spacers every 12” or so. After he gets his stack of wood, he weighs down the boards so it stays flat. Good luck.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Finally, a chance to reply. Still doing a lot of repairs and replacement work at my brother in law's. After the long drive up, doing whatever my wife wants done and then the drive back I really don't have much ambition left.

Anyway, when I'm in a wood store I usually avoid looking at the oaks and walnuts because I know I can't really afford them. But at the moment I made room for them so they are all laying flat now.

Dan

Comment

Wood storage is always an issue for me. I have a basement shop so some is stored in the rafters. But a lot is just leaning against the wall.
              Most of the projects I make require short pieces so it really doesn't matter.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• daveswoodworking
                Need help
                by daveswoodworking
                Hi everyone I’m looking for some 3-d wood puzzles like the picture and some other fish I’ve seen them around before I would like to find couple or find the pattern to try to make one for my self thanks for any help David...
                Yesterday, 10:28 PM
              • daveswoodworking
                Reply to Ornament Exchange 2022
                by daveswoodworking
                I received my ornament from Jim McDonald yesterday thank you for the ornament
                Yesterday, 10:24 PM
              • bstark
                How many times will I...
                by bstark
                How many times will I make a cut for inlay, then forget to reset the blade angle to 90 degrees? UGH!
                Yesterday, 09:44 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Today’s market
                by will8989
                Rolf, on your second picture did you resize O Holy Night or was that the angle of the camera? How did you carve the bowl behind it? A little birdie told me I was getting the rest of what I need so I can do bowl and spoon carving. Actually, I told the bird what I needed/wanted. Your work is amazing.
                Yesterday, 09:28 PM
              • Daddy's scroller
                Reply to Ornament Exchange 2022
                by Daddy's scroller
                Thank you Jim I got your oranment yesterday. I love it...
                Yesterday, 07:54 PM
              Working...
              X