Wood day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood day

Today we went to Groff and Groff for some wood. Budget was $150, spent $200. Not too bad. In October budget was $200, spent $350. Then we went to the sawmill Bruce volunteers at. Walked away with 5/4 6’ x 10” quarter sawn white oak!!! It’s so pretty. Sadly will take awhile to dry. 2 pieces of cherry, 6’ x 9” x 3/4. Again needs to dry. 2 pieces cherry 5/4 6’ x 10”. The first picture is the walnut tree to be cut next week. Bruce is standing by a piece he is getting for turning. The 2nd picture is the rest of the tree. Now for the heartbreaker. The next 2 photos are going to be turned into firewood! They are infested oak trees from another county park. The logs look good until they cut them and the centers are rotted. The poplar trees will be cut for fence boards and the last 2 pictures will also be firewood or removed as they are too big to cut safely. They will be splitting the wood with a homemade splitter one of the guys made. Hopefully Bruce will get a video of it as it is amazing. .
    Attached Files
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Quarter sawn white Oak is beautiful wood. I normally am not a fan of Oak for scrolling or any other woodwork. But the White Oak is different.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

While quartersawn wood is beautiful I find it a bit tricky to scroll. It is not for every project. When you hit the start of the growth ring the wood is hard and the cut slows but when you hit the pulp in between the rings it is soft and the cutting speeds up.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I’m doing what’s on the cover of Woodworks and Crafts, Sept 2004, for a special customer. I’m going to use 1/2” wood and back with verigated grays for the background. I really love working with White oak and other quarter sawn wood. It makes beautiful baskets.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X