Need advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice...

My so is getting married this fall and they want a ring box similar to the photo. Making the box is no real problem, but getting the wood ready is. I have a chunk cut from her grandfather's property, but in three days it is beginning to check.
    Can I dry these chunks in a low oven without it further damage. I have 3 pieces cut for the box and another 30 inches uncut.
    Thanks in advance.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

You can try but I think it will crack. Round tree section tend to crack along a radius.

Comment

If it's from a branch it will probably keep cracking. A branch grows with a different kind of stress stress on the top vs the bottom. This causes the wood to crack as it dries.

Comment

These are fresh trunk slices if that helps.
        Jim

Comment

Not sure if this will help in your case but there is an old turners trick for turning green wood. They rough turn their project and then put the project in a brown paper bag filled with the wood chips/shavings that they just removed during the turning process. The nag is then put in a cool dry place. It would mean you would have to sacrifice a couple slices.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

There are all sorts of tricks the turners use. Mostly we cut out the center of the log. But people slice then soak in alcohol to absorb the moisture, Seal the ends of the log and put aside for an extended period of time, do an on line search. Or find a dead branch that has dried slowly ,naturally.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Jim, if all else fails, try this link://birchbarkstore.com/collections/tree-slices-log-rounds-slabs-tree-stumps

I've bought lovely aspen and Balm of Gilead rounds from this site to use for live edge bowls. The owner, Rene Guay (pronounced "Rainey") could probably fabricate something the size you need, and guarantees that there will be no cracking. He can be reached at 207-668-9088, or [email protected]. He sources his wood from a plantation in Maine.

I haven't been in touch with him for a while, but he might remember me by name. This might or might not be a solution for you, but at least it's another option to try.
              Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Carole!
                Jim

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X