Interesting pallet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting pallet

Thinking about harvesting some pallet wood at work and spied this.
    Nail head is for size.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Must be a Texas pallet, with the star, RJ
    Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Maybe a star shining to tell us something? That piece of wood is a very special piece! Good eye.
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

That is a definit rescue for a special project. I rarely get or use any pallet wood. But did use some from the pallet that my drill press was on. It looked like pine but was was very hard, carefully checked for nails and ran it through the drum sander with some 80 grit to get rid of any small grit.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I agree that needs to be saved for a special project. The wood is likely oak based on the grain pattern and the discoloration around the nail.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

At work (like 15 years ago) we got in some aluminum sheet on pallets 4'x12'. Those pallets were like brand new, without even any discoloring from the metals. I asked our sales rep, and he said I could keep one pallet. I removed all the 4' boards, which measured about 1/2" thick, 4" wide and 4' long, nice and flat and the best quality I'd ever seen in pallets.. Why did I want them? Almost all of them had awesome blue pine areas and the colors were spectacular. Turns out they got that batch of pallets from a pallet maker in NW USA. It would've been a 'crime' to let that stuff not be used for intarsia!
            Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I have harvested some very interesting specimens in the last 10 years. Bookmatched ash that was absolutely beautiful; red oak, maple, some spalted "something" and more.
              But since most of the cross boards on pallets are 3 to 4 nches wide and 3/8" to 5/8", I have few uses for a lot of that kind of wood.
              Jim
              When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
              Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim McDonald View Post
                I have harvested some very interesting specimens in the last 10 years. Bookmatched ash that was absolutely beautiful; red oak, maple, some spalted "something" and more.
                But since most of the cross boards on pallets are 3 to 4 nches wide and 3/8" to 5/8", I have few uses for a lot of that kind of wood.
                Jim google shiplap wall art. If nothing else you could make interesting backers with the thin stock.
                Scott
                Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X