adheasive for felt to wood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adheasive for felt to wood

On my current project, a unity cross for a wedding, includes a small drawer in the base, for things like jewelry/rings, will be lined with felt. What would be a good adhesive to hold the felt in place? There is some poly on the bottom of the draw where the felt is to be. It will require very little to hold it in place, there will not be much to cause it to move, I was thinking double sided sticky tape. I am anxious to get this done also. I have most of the work done, all the pieces cut, just a little more assembly and poly. The wedding is the end of May. I had over a years notice on this job. I hope to post pictures when done.

No reason a spray adhesive wouldn’t work. I use 3M 77.
    Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Try the craft stores for felt with an adhesive back. Seems to work well on bare wood.

"Time to give back."
      "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Or, I paint the bottom of my boxes the color of the flock I am going to use then put the flock in while paint is still wet. I prefer the flock,over the felt.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I have been using Weldbond for attaching fabric to wood. It seems to attach anything to anything. It dries clear too.

Carole Rathman recommended it for doing bowls and I use it for everything but cutting boards (Titebond III) as it is only water resistant not water proof.

My wife who does all the crafting loves it. She has it is an accordion bottle and just a drop will attach buttons or fabric.

I get my accordion bottles at

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,110,42967
          Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

For what you are doing I would use a few strips of double sided tape.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I wonder if double sided tape will telegraph through the felt? May not be an issue, but something to consider. The adhesive backed felt works pretty well.
              Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Project finished, just need to be paid and have customer pick up. I said I had over a year's notice for this project. The wedding is this month, but I didn't start it until about January 1st. The cross is made of local white cedar (which I think is very good wood ) that came from the bride's grandparents farm. The dark wood is local walnut and the rest is maple. The pins have rare earth magnets that go against magnets in the cross. I used double sticky tape to secure the felt. I would have been done sooner, but I am a fanatic about leaving glue dry and letting finish dry and cure. Also, the customer was a bit of a holdup. Finished. Dan

Comment

Would love to see a picture.
                  Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I did post pictures, are they there?

Comment

The pictures did not come up.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

No. When you chose your picture, did you click on Done before continuing? I miss that step alot.
                        Betty

Comment

IMG_2530.jpgIMG_2529.JPGIMG_2535.jpg

Comment

Thank you for the pictures. Very nice!
                            ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

Beautiful work. Great wood choices.
                              Scott
                              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse