adheasive for felt to wood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adheasive for felt to wood

On my current project, a unity cross for a wedding, includes a small drawer in the base, for things like jewelry/rings, will be lined with felt. What would be a good adhesive to hold the felt in place? There is some poly on the bottom of the draw where the felt is to be. It will require very little to hold it in place, there will not be much to cause it to move, I was thinking double sided sticky tape. I am anxious to get this done also. I have most of the work done, all the pieces cut, just a little more assembly and poly. The wedding is the end of May. I had over a years notice on this job. I hope to post pictures when done.

No reason a spray adhesive wouldn’t work. I use 3M 77.
    Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Try the craft stores for felt with an adhesive back. Seems to work well on bare wood.

"Time to give back."
      "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Or, I paint the bottom of my boxes the color of the flock I am going to use then put the flock in while paint is still wet. I prefer the flock,over the felt.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I have been using Weldbond for attaching fabric to wood. It seems to attach anything to anything. It dries clear too.

Carole Rathman recommended it for doing bowls and I use it for everything but cutting boards (Titebond III) as it is only water resistant not water proof.

My wife who does all the crafting loves it. She has it is an accordion bottle and just a drop will attach buttons or fabric.

I get my accordion bottles at

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,110,42967
          Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

For what you are doing I would use a few strips of double sided tape.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I wonder if double sided tape will telegraph through the felt? May not be an issue, but something to consider. The adhesive backed felt works pretty well.
              Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bill Wilson
                Reply to wipe on poly and tack cloth
                by Bill Wilson
                First, follow the instructions on the can, regarding wait time between coats. I would think that for the first couple coats, re-applying while the previous coat was still tacky wouldn't be terrible, but I would warn that building several coats without allowing proper drying time, will extend the overall,...
                Today, 08:50 AM
              • Don in Brooklin On
                Reply to wipe on poly and tack cloth
                by Don in Brooklin On
                I use wipe on poly quite often and I apply 2 thin coats before sanding with 220 or 320. I wipe with a lint free. Someone told me not to use tack cloth as you can leave behind a wee bit of beeswax witch could cause issues later on.

I make sure that the surface is dry and not tacky before...
                Yesterday, 05:41 AM
              • dwssr2
                wipe on poly and tack cloth
                by dwssr2
                Question, when sanding polyurethane in between coats, using a tack cloth, is it ok to wipe on poly while the project seems tacky or should a person wait a few hours to let it dry?
                How necessary is it to sand between coats of polyurethane? I am sure people have a lot of different opinions and...
                04-24-2019, 05:58 PM
              • tgiro01
                Reply to Do you know what this Is?
                by tgiro01
                Betty asked: "Where does the responsibility of the maker of an item end and the responsibility of the purchaser begin? My sealife puzzle is purchased by older people due to its complexity but - if they leave it laying around and a child gets a part and chokes, is that my responsibility or theirs?"...
                04-24-2019, 12:20 PM
              • RJweb
                Reply to Do you know what this Is?
                by RJweb
                The problem now a days everyone is sue happy, no matter who’s at fault, RJ...
                04-24-2019, 10:03 AM
              Working...
              X