mulberry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mulberry

I have to take down a white mulberry tree. I will be able to salvage much of the trunk pieces that are 12" to 20" in diameter. I know it can be turned and takes a nice finish but I want to mill, dry and then scroll it. How easily does it scroll? Any special techniques needed? According to the wood sites I looked at, it also burns with a sweet aroma (similar to apple) and can be used to smoke meat on my grill. Has anyone done this?

George
    A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
    George

delta 650, hawk G426

According to it's Janka hardness number it is in the range somewhere between Wenge and purpleheart. I sliced some up last year it had a nice aroma and a yellow orange color. I have not looked at it in awhile so not sure if it retained its color. When it gets warmer I will get the rest of the trunk from my neighbors yard. probably turn some of it.

https://www.wood-database.com/mulberry/
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

My first siting of mulberry lumber was a surprise. It was in a 4 inch thick slab about 18" by 36". I was attracted to it because it looked like rough cut black walnut that had been kiln dried - a beautiful rich brown. When I looked at the sticker it said "Mulberry". I bought it and took a knife to an edge. The underneath wood was very much like teak in its color. Having set outside for eons, it changed colors. My wife has a 12 inch bowl somewhere that I made with a section 10 years ago and it is still teak-ish colored. It was very smooth turning.

I have not scrolled anything with the mulberry yet, so I don't know about that.
      Hank Lee
      Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

Bruce had some mulberry from the sawmill about 2 years and it had a yellow color almost like yellow heart. From what I remember it was like cutting cherry.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Thanks for the information everyone. It sounds like I will mill it up when it comes down sometime this spring and I am now looking forward to scrolling it when it dries in a year or so.
          George
          A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
          George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

George, I had to have some Mulberry trees taken down about 3 years ago after one was hit by lightning. I had them cut into 5 foot pcs.and then brought them to be slabbed, I waxed the ends and stickered them to dry. Some of the pcs split on the ends and they really twisted also, but the ones I have been using so far are nicely colored yellow/brown and when I put some Watco Danish Oil on the pieces I have cut so far, I have been very pleasantly surprised. Salvage that wood if you can, I think you will really like it. If I can figure out how to post again, I will show a picture of it.

Last edited by theframer; 03-19-2019, 05:51 PM. Reason: I tried to send the photo... as my uncle Tony would say "NO CAN DO"
            Rick
            Just because the circus left town, doesn't mean the Monkey's off your back

Comment

IMG_0552.jpg
              Last edited by theframer; 03-19-2019, 05:53 PM. Reason: This is the Mulberry wood from my yard. The cross is from a Steve Good pattern that I reworked.
              Rick
              Just because the circus left town, doesn't mean the Monkey's off your back

Comment

Very nice. I like the grain.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X