mulberry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mulberry

I have to take down a white mulberry tree. I will be able to salvage much of the trunk pieces that are 12" to 20" in diameter. I know it can be turned and takes a nice finish but I want to mill, dry and then scroll it. How easily does it scroll? Any special techniques needed? According to the wood sites I looked at, it also burns with a sweet aroma (similar to apple) and can be used to smoke meat on my grill. Has anyone done this?

George
    A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
    George

delta 650, hawk G426

According to it's Janka hardness number it is in the range somewhere between Wenge and purpleheart. I sliced some up last year it had a nice aroma and a yellow orange color. I have not looked at it in awhile so not sure if it retained its color. When it gets warmer I will get the rest of the trunk from my neighbors yard. probably turn some of it.

https://www.wood-database.com/mulberry/
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

My first siting of mulberry lumber was a surprise. It was in a 4 inch thick slab about 18" by 36". I was attracted to it because it looked like rough cut black walnut that had been kiln dried - a beautiful rich brown. When I looked at the sticker it said "Mulberry". I bought it and took a knife to an edge. The underneath wood was very much like teak in its color. Having set outside for eons, it changed colors. My wife has a 12 inch bowl somewhere that I made with a section 10 years ago and it is still teak-ish colored. It was very smooth turning.

I have not scrolled anything with the mulberry yet, so I don't know about that.
      Hank Lee
      Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

Bruce had some mulberry from the sawmill about 2 years and it had a yellow color almost like yellow heart. From what I remember it was like cutting cherry.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Thanks for the information everyone. It sounds like I will mill it up when it comes down sometime this spring and I am now looking forward to scrolling it when it dries in a year or so.
          George
          A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
          George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

George, I had to have some Mulberry trees taken down about 3 years ago after one was hit by lightning. I had them cut into 5 foot pcs.and then brought them to be slabbed, I waxed the ends and stickered them to dry. Some of the pcs split on the ends and they really twisted also, but the ones I have been using so far are nicely colored yellow/brown and when I put some Watco Danish Oil on the pieces I have cut so far, I have been very pleasantly surprised. Salvage that wood if you can, I think you will really like it. If I can figure out how to post again, I will show a picture of it.

Last edited by theframer; 03-19-2019, 05:51 PM. Reason: I tried to send the photo... as my uncle Tony would say "NO CAN DO"
            Rick
            Just because the circus left town, doesn't mean the Monkey's off your back

Comment

IMG_0552.jpg
              Last edited by theframer; 03-19-2019, 05:53 PM. Reason: This is the Mulberry wood from my yard. The cross is from a Steve Good pattern that I reworked.
              Rick
              Just because the circus left town, doesn't mean the Monkey's off your back

Comment

Very nice. I like the grain.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bill Wilson
                  Reply to wipe on poly and tack cloth
                  by Bill Wilson
                  First, follow the instructions on the can, regarding wait time between coats. I would think that for the first couple coats, re-applying while the previous coat was still tacky wouldn't be terrible, but I would warn that building several coats without allowing proper drying time, will extend the overall,...
                  Today, 08:50 AM
                • Don in Brooklin On
                  Reply to wipe on poly and tack cloth
                  by Don in Brooklin On
                  I use wipe on poly quite often and I apply 2 thin coats before sanding with 220 or 320. I wipe with a lint free. Someone told me not to use tack cloth as you can leave behind a wee bit of beeswax witch could cause issues later on.

I make sure that the surface is dry and not tacky before...
                  Yesterday, 05:41 AM
                • dwssr2
                  wipe on poly and tack cloth
                  by dwssr2
                  Question, when sanding polyurethane in between coats, using a tack cloth, is it ok to wipe on poly while the project seems tacky or should a person wait a few hours to let it dry?
                  How necessary is it to sand between coats of polyurethane? I am sure people have a lot of different opinions and...
                  04-24-2019, 05:58 PM
                • tgiro01
                  Reply to Do you know what this Is?
                  by tgiro01
                  Betty asked: "Where does the responsibility of the maker of an item end and the responsibility of the purchaser begin? My sealife puzzle is purchased by older people due to its complexity but - if they leave it laying around and a child gets a part and chokes, is that my responsibility or theirs?"...
                  04-24-2019, 12:20 PM
                • RJweb
                  Reply to Do you know what this Is?
                  by RJweb
                  The problem now a days everyone is sue happy, no matter who’s at fault, RJ...
                  04-24-2019, 10:03 AM
                Working...
                X